The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is dedicated to the powerful belief that hard work, honesty, and determination can conquer all obstacles. Hence they are offering Horatio Alger State Scholarships that are funded through the generosity of the Association’s Members, Life Partners, and Friends of the Association. To be eligible, the applicant must be a current high school student with an anticipated spring/summer 2017 graduation date. The Horatio Alger program is open to supporting promising young people with the resources and confidence needed to overcome adversity and pursue their dreams through higher education. The Association will provide $10,000 of per winning candidate.
The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Inc., a 501(c) (3) nonprofit educational organization, was established in 1947 to dispel the mounting belief among our nation’s youth that the American Dream was no longer attainable.
To eligible, the applicants must meet all the eligibility requirements:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States, be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2017 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 and
- Be a United States citizen
- Applicants for the Louisiana and Montana state scholarships must meet additional eligibility criteria from the link: https://scholars.horatioalger.org/scholarships/about-our-scholarship-programs/state-scholarships/louisiana-and-montana-additional-eligibility/
How to Apply:
In order to apply, the applicant can submit application online by creating an account through the given link: http://application2.horatioalger.org/
You have the option to submit a copy of the tax transcript which can be requested through the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript.
Applicants not born in the United States but who are United States citizens are required to verify their citizenship by uploading one of the following documents to their online application:
- A copy of the photo ID page from your United States issued passport which includes your full name; or
- A copy of your citizenship certificate. If you do not have a certificate but your parents are United States citizens please submit a copy of a parent’s citizenship certificate; or a copy of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
- If you were born in the United States, do not submit proof of citizenship.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The association will provide various award, you may check full list of award and program through the given link https://scholars.horatioalger.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Horatio-Alger-Scholarship-Programs-2017.pdf
- Applications will be accepted for the Louisiana, Montana and South Dakota scholarships January 15 – April 15, 2017.
- Only awardees will be notified. Fall applicants that are awarded will be notified via email and mail by January 30. Applicants for the spring (January-April 2017) will be announced over the summer.
Link for More Information:
If you do not find an answer to your question, email scholarships-at-horatioalger.org or call toll‐free at (844) HAA‐4200, Monday‐Friday, 9:00‐5:00 Eastern Time.