The Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Wings Over Houston Airshow (WOH) is pleased to announce theWHO scholarship program.The program is available for college students who have completed their second year of study in aviation or a related field. Full-time students in good academic standing at any accredited college or university within the United States are eligible to apply. The WOH scholarships are intended to assist and reward students who have demonstrated academic potential, leadership, and extracurricular involvement.For the 2017-2018 academic year, the Wings Over Houston Airshow intends to award up to five scholarships in amounts from $1,000 to $5,000 each.
The Commemorative Air Force(CAF) Wings Over Houston Airshow is an IRC 501(c)(3) community event presented by the volunteer efforts of the Houston Wing, Gulf Coast Wing, and Tora! Tora! Tora! of the Commemorative Air Force, with support from the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, the Texas Flying Legends Museum, Collings Foundation-Houston based at Ellington Airport, and the Vietnam War Flight Museum.
To eligible, the applicant must meet all the following criteria:
Students in good academic standing at any accredited college or university within the United States are eligible for these scholarships subject to the requirements below.
- Applicants pursuing an academic degree directly associated with aviation, aeronautics, or aerospace will receive priority, the degree of association will be one of the selecting factors.
- The applicant must have completed at least two academic years of full-time college work or fifty semester hours of credit at the time of applying for this scholarship. Graduate students (either entering or currently enrolled) are also eligible.
- The applicant must have a college grade point average of not less than 3.0 (a B average) on a 4.0 scale.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university in the United States, and be planning to enroll for a minimum of 12 credit hours (full time) each semester during the year of the awarded scholarship.
- The applicant’s academic course work shall be such as to provide entry into some career field that is associated with aviation or aerospace, and the applicant must have a stated intent and goal of pursuing such a career after graduation.
- Students who receive an award are eligible to reapply in succeeding years. It should be stressed that renewal is not automatic. To apply for a renewal, an individual must complete a new application.
- Applicants must be either citizens or legal residents of the United States.
- The applicant must meet at least one of the following three requirements:
- A legal resident of the state of Texas. A photocopy of a Texas Driver’s License or other proof of residence must be included with the application. OR…
- A member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Proof of Corps membership must be included with the application. OR…
- A member in good standing of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF). Proof of CAF membership must be included with the application. One (and only one) of the reference letters must be from a CAF member (preferably a member of a unit staff) citing the applicant’s contributions to the CAF or CAF unit.
How to Apply:
To apply for the WHO Scholarship, the applicant can download the application through the given link: https://wingsoverhouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WOH_Scholarship_Package_2017.pdf
Each applicant is required to provide the following information:
- Proof of residency or membership eligibility as described in Requirement 7 above.
- Photocopy of government-issuedID, such as a driver’s license, showing residence in Texas, or
- Proof of Texas A&M Corps of Cadets membership, or
- Proof of CAF membership
- A current official college transcript. Photocopies are accepted
- Three (3) typewritten letters of recommendation. Past WOH scholarship recipients applying for another scholarship must provide two (2) recommendation letters. Recommendations from relatives of applicants will not be accepted.
- A typewritten essay of approximately 1,000 words describing the career objectives of the applicant.
Completed application packages including application form, recommendation letters, transcripts, essay, etc., should be mailed to
Wings Over Houston Airshow
18000 Groschke Road
Houston, Texas 77084
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The Wings Over Houston (WHO) Airshow intends to award up to five scholarships in amounts from $1,000 to $5,000 each.
- The application package must be submitted by mail, postmarked no later than July 1st, 2017.
- The selection will be made by the Wings Over Houston Scholarship Committee in July/August 2017 and the winner notified by the end of September 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have questions regarding the Wings Over Houston Scholarship Program or requests for additional application forms should be sent by email to the Wings Over Houston Airshow Scholarship Committee at scholarships-atwingsoverhouston.com.