Applications are invited for Williams-Mystic/Joseph Conrad Ocean Essay Contest. The contest is open for undergraduate students of all majors from all accredited colleges and universities. Williams-Mystic is the only undergraduate program that offers interdisciplinary semester-long courses in maritime history, literature, policy, and science. The program is intended to find a breathtaking view to complement your ambitious outlook. $400 will be given to winner and two $50 honorable mentions will also be awarded.
Williams-Mystic, the maritime studies program of Williams College and Mystic Seaport, is an interdisciplinary semester program based at Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Connecticut.
- Undergraduates of any major in good academic standing at an accredited college or university are eligible.
- High school seniors may also submit.
How to Apply:
- For applying the scholarship, the candidates must complete on-line application form through the given link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jUXAoMqF8-GdI7jwY-UUbtTm–C4ECX2ElPqlvOq7_U/viewform
- The candidates must submit an essay. The essay guidelines are:
- Submissions of either fiction or nonfiction should be between 1,000-5,000 words.
- Submissions may be about any topic and in any genre as long as the ocean or a major body of water is the primary setting or aspect of concern.
- The essay may be nature writing, environmental or political activism, literary or historic scholarship, or simply good storytelling.
- If submitting poetry, please send more than 6 poems.
- The submitted work must be in English and unpublished at the time of submission, though it may be under consideration. It may have been submitted for a course.
- Contact information for three references.
- Official transcript.
- Personal Statement.In 1-2 pages, what appeals to you most about Williams-Mystic? In what ways might you contribute to this program?
- Writing Sample.Should be written within the last year and be no longer than 5 pages.
You may send your transcript, personal statement, and writing sample via email (md11-at-williams.edu), fax (860-572-5329) or snail mail:
75 Greenmanville Ave
Mystic, CT 06355.
$400 will be given to winner and two $50 honorable mentions will also be awarded.
TBD (To be determined) for 2016.
Link for More Information: