The Kaplan University is proud to offer three types of scholarships (Kaplan/Thanks USA Full Tuition Scholarships, Kaplan/ThanksUSA RN to BSN Scholarships, and Kaplan/ThanksUSA Associate’s to Bachelor’s Scholarship) in honor of the commitment and sacrifice made by military families. The program is open to current high school seniors or graduates who are planning to enroll or already enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course at an accredited two- or four-year college or university, or vocational/technical school for the academic year. The student will receive an award of $3,000 for educational expenses if selected as a recipient.
ThanksUSA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation incorporated in Washington, DC, in 2005.ThanksUSA is funded by corporate donations, in-kind support, and private contributions from donors. Since 2006, ThanksUSA has awarded nearly 4,000 scholarships with a total value of $12 million.
Applicants to the ThanksUSA Scholarship Program must meet the all following criteria:
- Be a dependent child, age 24 and under (as of application deadline) or be a spouse of U.S. military service personnel
- Be current high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll or students who are already enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college or university, or vocational or technical school for the academic year.
- Have at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 scale or its equivalent on their relevant academic record (e.g., a high school record for incoming freshmen or post-secondary school record for those already enrolled in a college, university, or vocational or technical school).
- Spouses enrolled part-time in an undergraduate course of study at an accredited institution are also eligible. Spouses may also use the award for non-degree licensure and certification programs regardless of whether an undergraduate degree has already been completed.
- Kaplan will provide three different types of scholarship awards: (Applicants must have a GPA of a 3.0 or higher.)
- Master’s programs or graduate‐level study are not eligible.
How to Apply:
To apply,the applicant must complete the ThanksUSA online application through the given link:
- Evidence of active military duty (this may consist of a Statement of Service, a letter or written statement from the Personnel Department or the Commanding Officer, a copy of Duty Orders, a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty or a DD 214). Do not send a copy of your military I.D.
- A current and complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Unofficial and online transcripts must display student name, school name, grades and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken.
- A photo of the applicant suitable for publication/media release (no other people should be in the photo- it must be a photo of the applicant alone). Size requirements: minimum 2×3 inches, maximum 4×6 inches.
- If applicable, documentation of injury sustained in the line of duty, disability determination or copy of death certificate for killed in the line of duty must be submitted.
- If applicable, a copy of your current nursing license (RN).
If you are not able to upload the documents, they may be mailed to Scholarship America postmarked no later than May 15, 2017. Write the applicant’s name and application ID number on each document and on the back of photographs.
ThanksUSA Scholarship Program
One Scholarship Way
Saint Peter, MN 56082
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Kaplan/ThanksUSA Full Tuition Scholarships: Kaplan will provide 5 full-tuition (4-year) ThanksUSA/Kaplan Scholarships to military spouses and dependent military children. These awards will include one scholarship in public service, one in STEM and three to be determined based on the applications received.
- Kaplan/ThanksUSA RN to BSN Scholarships: Kaplan will provide 5 full-tuition and 5 partial-tuition (47%) scholarships to military spouses who are licensed registered nurses who want to enhance their education by obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
- Kaplan/ThanksUSA Associate’s to Bachelor’s Scholarship: Kaplan will provide 5 full-tuition and 5 partial-tuition (47%) scholarships to military spouses and dependent military children who currently hold an associate’s degree and would like to earn their bachelor’s degree through Kaplan’s Online University.
- Students may reapply in subsequent years if ThanksUSA is offering the same scholarship program
The online applications will be accepted between April 1, 2017, and May 15, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. CDT.Payments for students will be in two installments in late September and January
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, contact at e-mail: thanksusa-at-scholarshipamerica.org or call: 1-507-931-8209