Soroptimist, global women’s organization is sponsoring Live Your Dream Awards. Only residents of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries and territories are eligible to apply for the educational grants. The awards (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards) assists women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills, and employment prospects. Each year about $1.7 million is awarded through the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards program. Most regions grant additional $3,000 awards. The first-place recipients then become eligible for one of three $10,000 finalist awards.
Soroptimist is a global women’s organization whose members volunteer to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. The organization is particularly concerned with providing women and girl’s access to education, as this is the most effective path to self-determination.
Eligible applicants are women who:
- Provide the primary financial support for their dependents (dependents can include children, spouse, siblings and/or parents)
- Have financial need
- Are enrolled in or have been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program
- Are motivated to achieve their educational and career goals
- Reside in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, Venezuela)
- Have not previously been the recipients of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Award or Live Your Dream Award
- Do not have a graduate degree
- Are not Soroptimist members, employees of Soroptimist International of the Americas or immediate family of either
- Have a Social Security number or Tax ID number (only necessary if a resident of the United States). This is required for tax purposes
How to Apply:
Applications for the 2017 awards will be accepted between July 1, 2017, and November 15, 2017
- The candidates can download scholarship application form by the given link: http://www.soroptimist.org/rise/SIA/lydapplication
- You can download the reference form through the given link: http://www.soroptimist.org/members/program/programdocs/lyd-awards/english/reference-form.pdf
Submit your complete application through the given link: http://www.soroptimist.org/rise/SIA/ClubSearch.aspx
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Recipients may use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, including books, childcare, and transportation.
- The program begins on the club level, where award amounts vary.
- Club recipients become eligible to receive region level awards, which are granted through Soroptimist’s 28 geographic regions. Currently, each Soroptimist region grants one first-place award for $5,000.
- Most regions grant additional $3,000 awards. The first-place recipients then become eligible for one of three $10,000 finalist awards.
The application period for the 2017 awards cycle will be from July 1, 2017-November 15, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have additional questions, you can contact siahq-at-soroptimist.org.