The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History awards annual short-term research fellowships in the amount of $3000 each to doctoral candidates, postdoctoral scholars, college and university faculty at every rank, and independent scholars working in the field of American history. International scholars are eligible to apply. The fellowships support research at archives in New York city.
The Gilder Lehrman Collection is a unique archive of primary sources in American history. Owned by the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History and located at the New-York Historical Society. With more than 600 scholarly fellowships awarded since 1994, the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History offers annual short-term research fellowships.
Fellows Are Required To:
- Complete their research within a year of notification of the award
- Visit the Gilder Lehrman Institute in New York City to meet the Fellowship Coordinator and record a 2–3 minute video interview
- Submit a paragraph documenting the archival collections consulted during the fellowship
How to Apply:
The candidates must login or register to fill the Fellowship application Form and the following material can be send to the address of “The Gilder Lehrman Scholarly Fellowship Program”.
- A project proposal including current contact information, a list of primary sources to be consulted, and an anticipated budget
- A curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from established scholars of American history
Applications must be postmarked or submitted via email by May 15, 2015. All applicants will be notified by Monday, June 15, 2015.
Link to Apply:
Contact Information: Interested candidates can send the material to
The Gilder Lehrman Scholarly Fellowship Program
49 West 45th Street, Sixth Floor
New York, New York 10036
Phone: (646) 366-9666, ext. 29
Fax: (646) 366-9669