The Puerto Rican Bar Association (PRBA) is pleased to announce the 2017 Puerto Rican Bar Association (PRBA) Scholarship Program. The program is open to Latino law students who are attending ABA-accredited law schools in New York State.The Scholarship Fund is designed to promote diversity within the legal profession by providing scholarships to students of Puerto Rican and Latino descent. The PRBA will be awarding scholarships of up to $6,500.00 each, to be used for legal education and related expenses.
The Puerto Rican Bar Association (PRBA) was founded in New York in 1957, is one of the oldest Latino bar associations in the United States. Today, the PRBA continues its tradition of breaking down barriers to the legal profession with active members throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
Applicants must be:
- Of Puerto Rican and/or Latino descent
- Enrolled at an ABA-accredited law school in New York State for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Applicants must be enrolled during the 2017-2018 academic year.
How to Apply:
To apply for the scholarship, the applicant can download the application through the given link: http://prbany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-Scholarship-Application-Final.pdf
Applicants must submit all of the following:
- Cover letter discussing how their academic, personal, and professional accomplishments qualify them for a Scholarship Fund award
- Completed 2017 Scholarship Application, attaching additional sheets as necessary to provide complete answers
- Most recent transcript (Note: students entering their 1L year may submit transcripts from their undergraduate institution or most recent post-graduate institution)
- Class registration or other proof of enrollment for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Essay of 2,500 words or less discussing the importance of having Puerto Rican and Latino attorneys in the legal profession
- Four letters of recommendation, one from each of the following:
- Dean, Associate Dean, or Professor at his or her law school (note: students entering their 1L year may submit a recommendation from a Dean, Association Dean, or Professor from their undergraduate or post-graduate institution)
- Law student who is a member of LLSA or the Puerto Rican Bar Association
- An individual who is personally acquainted with the applicant, but not related by blood, marriage, or adoption
- A former employer of the applicant.
All applications, essays, and required materials must be submitted in PDF format to Stephanie Correa, Esq. at corresponding-secretary-at-prbany.com
5 hard copies of 5 USB drives or CDs must be submitted to the following address:
Carmen A. Pacheco, Esq., President
George Santana, Esq., Chair
Puerto Rican Bar Association Scholarship Fund, Inc.
c/o Pacheco & Lugo, PLLC
Attorneys at Law
340 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Financial Aid and Award money:
The PRBA awards individual scholarships up to $6,500 each based on the funds raised by the PRBA to applicants who demonstrate the following:
- Academic Excellence
- Community Involvement
- Dedication to the Advancement of Minorities through the Legal Process
- Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion within the Legal Profession
The applications are due on July 31, 2017.
Link for More Information: