The Nikon International Small World Competition is recognized as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Small World in Motion encompasses any movie or digital time-lapse photography taken through the microscope and adds a new, distinct discipline to the competition. Top 3 prize winners are selected and they will get $3000, $2000 and $1000 award amount respectively.
Today Nikon is a world-renowned brand, firmly established as a market leader in optical instrumentation and the only microscope company to manufacture its own glass, ensuring the very finest quality assurance throughout production.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment.
- Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won but can win other prizes.
- Any image that has won any other photomicrography competition is not eligible.
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable. Electron and any other microscopes that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not permitted.
- The use of Nikon equipment is not required.
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
How to Apply:
- You can enter in the Nikon International Small World Competition through the given link: https://nikonsmallworld.magnet.fsu.edu/enter/small-world-in-motion/part1/
- The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques. Images must be submitted as follows:
- Digitally: Uploading to the Small World Competition entry area. Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified. Files must be in jpeg, png, psd, or tiff format. (Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.)
- For images on film, a 35mm mounted transparency will be accepted. Glass mounts are not accepted.
Send correspondence to Nikon’s Small World Competition, Nikon Instruments Inc., 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064 USA or email info-at-nikonsmallworld.com
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Top 3 prize winners are selected and ranked by Small World In Motion Judges.
- 1st Prize – $3,000
- 2nd Prize – $2,000
- 3rd Prize – $1,000
- Honorable Mentions – $100 each
Entries must be received no later than April 30, 2017. Entries received after that date will be automatically rolled into the following year’s competition.
Link for More Information: