The Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) is now offering the Michael Hakeem Memorial College Essay Competition for students.The contest is open to ongoing North American high school seniors, an undergraduate student who are planning to enter in graduate or high school seniors who are going to college for the first time.You are also eligible to enter this contest if you will graduate from college by spring or summer of 2017.The Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are free from religion and are committed to the cherished principle of separation of state and church. Through the college essay competition, the FFRF will provide total $7850 and winners will receive a school-year membership to FFRF.
FFRF is a non-profit, educational organization. The purposes of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc., as stated in its bylaws, are to promote the constitutional principle of separation of state and church, and to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.
- Open to ongoing college students in North America
- If you are a high school senior going on to college for the first time, you must enter FFRF’s high school essay competition
- You may still enter the ongoing college contest if you will graduate from college by spring or summer of 2017.
- If you are an undergraduate student age 25 to 30, you must enter graduate/”older student” contest.
- If you will graduate from college by spring or summer of 2017 you are eligible to enter this contest.
How to Apply:
In order to apply, the applicant can complete the online application through the given link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B8F3235
Submit an essay on the following topic: This year’s topic: “My morals do not come from God, they come from . . .”
- The essay must be 450-650 words, typed, double-spaced, standard margins, and font size 11 or 12 points. Include your name and the title of your essay on each page. Do not attach a resume with your essay.
- Winners may be asked to send verification of student enrollment.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Michael Hakeem Memorial Scholarship will provide as the following prizes:
- First Place Award: $3,000
- Second Place Award: $2,000
- Third Place Award: $1,000
- Fourth Place Award: $750
- Fifth Place Award: $500
- Sixth Place Award: $400
- Optional Honorable Mention(s): $200
- In addition to their scholarship, winners will receive a school-year membership to FFRF, which includes a subscription to Freethought Today.
- All other eligible entrants will be offered the choice of a student FFRF membership and Freethought Today subscription, or a freethought book or product.
The applicants must fill out an application and submit your essay no later than midnight, July 1, 2017. Winners will be announced in August.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions or concerns, email FFRF at ltreu-at-ffrf.org or call (608)256-8900.