NLM and the Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES) have teamed up to announce the first call for applications to the Michael E. DeBakey Fellowship in the History of Medicine. Anyone over the age of eighteen, of any academic discipline and status, can apply for the given fellowship. Fellowships of up to $10,000 will be awarded to individual, to help offset the costs associated with visiting and using the NLM collections.
NLM’s History of Medicine Division collects, preserves, makes available and interprets for diverse audiences one of the world’s richest collections of historical material related to human health and disease.
- The fellowship is open to anyone over the age of eighteen, of any academic discipline and status.
- Non-U.S. citizens may apply.
How to Apply:
The applying process is completely on-line. You can easily apply for the given fellowship through the given link:
- A brief curriculum vitae, not to exceed two pages
- An abstract of the proposed project (not to exceed 750 words) stating its scope, purpose, research and/or educational value, and describing how it will expressly engage the NLM’s Michael E. DeBakey archives, related collections held by the NLM, or the vast range of subjects which informed, or were informed by, Michael E. DeBakey’s professional career; the abstract should also include the preferred dates and length of the anticipated visit, whether a single period of up to four weeks, or multiple periods totaling no more than four weeks
- A brief bibliography, of no more than two pages, including the most critical secondary sources and other primary source materials supporting the project
- A budget listing travel and other attendant expenses
- Proof of health insurance
- Copy of academic transcript, if currently enrolled in an academic institution
- Two letters of support, at least one of which must be from an individual familiar with the nature of the applicant’s specific project and general educational interests and goals
Fellowships of up to $10,000 will be awarded to the winning candidates.
Complete the form and provide all required information before the deadline of 5 PM on September 1, 2016, to be considered.
Link for More Information:
Questions about the Michael E. DeBakey Fellowship in the History of Medicine may be directed to hmdref-at-nlm.nih.gov or by phone 301-402-8878.