The Loft Literary Center is pleased to announce the 2016 McKnight Artist Fellowships for Writers. The fellowship is available in Poetry & Spoken Word and writers for children under the age of eight. Four winners will be selected to receive grants of $7,500 amount. The awards provide the writers the opportunity to focus on their craft for the course of the fellowship year.
The Loft Literary Center was founded in year 1974. Their main aim is to advances the artistic development of writers, fosters a thriving literary community, and inspires a passion for literature in children younger than eight.
Eligibility for both in Poetry/ Spoken Word and Children’s literature is:
- Applicants must have been legal residents of Minnesota for the 12 months prior to the application deadline and must currently reside in Minnesota.
- Applicants may apply for only one McKnight Artist Fellowship per year. You may not apply for the Award in Poetry and Spoken Word and also apply for any other McKnight Fellowship, including the Award in Children’s Literature.
- Winners of the McKnight Artist Fellowships for Writers between 2013 and 2015 are not eligible to apply.
- Loft and McKnight Foundation staff and board members are not eligible.
Additional Requirements for the Loft Awards in Poetry and Spoken Word Poetry, applicants must have:
- Published at least 12 original poems in no fewer than 3 literary journals or magazines that regularly feature poetry as part of their format. (Work published in an online journal that has an editorial process is eligible.) OR
- Published a book-length collection of poetry OR
- Produced a full-length spoken word CD OR
- Written and performed spoken word/performance work
Additional Requirements for the Loft Award in Children’s Literature, applicants must have:
- Published a book for children under the age of eight, in any genre other than educational textbook material OR
- Published at least three pieces of original work in one or more publications that regularly feature creative work for children under the age of eight as part of their format.
- Work published in an online journal that has an editorial process is eligible.
- Work published in an anthology is eligible. The same piece printed in a journal and in an anthology may only be counted once, applicants may not use multiple publication of the same work to meet the three required pieces
How to Apply:
In order to apply for this fellowship you will need to create a Fluid Review account or Login with your existing Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn account on the given link. The link is:
Five $25,000 fellowships are awarded. One Award in Children’s Literature alternates annually between writers for children under the age of eight and writers for older readers. Four fellowships alternate annually between writers of poetry/spoken word poetry and writers of creative prose.
Interested candidates can apply no later than Friday, November 6, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. (CST).
Link for More Information:
Please contact Kerry Morgan, program director, at gallery-at-mcad.edu or 612.874.3667 for more information.