The Marion Ballew Thomas Memorial Scholarship is awarded to culturally diverse, undergraduate Ethnic Studies majors or minors who are engaged in studies that further the development of their social awareness and analytical skills.
In loving memory of Marion Ballew Thomas, daughter of Wilrina and Nolan Ballew, devoted sister of Adolph, Catherine and Charles the scholarship are provided to the students. Preference will be given to students who need financial help with their tuition and/or who have documented community service and/or are minoring/majoring in the natural sciences, the social sciences, peace studies, education, business or planning and public policy.
Eligibility: The preference will be given to ES majors and minors who
- Need financial help with their tuition
- Have documented community service
- Are majoring or minoring in the natural sciences, the social sciences, peace studies, education, business, or planning and public policy
- Students who are awarded this scholarship may apply to renew it until they are awarded their UO undergraduate degrees.
How to Apply:
Scholarship applications are accepted once each winter and spring. Students who do not receive the scholarship in winter may apply again in the spring.
Each application must include:
- a short personal statement (2-3 pages) addressing the applicant’s focus of study and relevant community work
- transcripts (official or unofficial)
- two letters of reference
Applications must be delivered to the Ethnic Studies office till May 20, 2015 for the spring scholarship.
Link to Apply: