The New York Academy of Medicine is delighted to announce the Margaret E. Mahoney Fellowship in Health Policy program. Masters-level students currently enrolled in medical, dental, public health, public policy or graduate nursing schools in the United States, are eligible to apply.Through the program, fellows are required to participate in a variety of leadership development activities and will have the opportunity to meet local and national health policy leaders.Fellows will receive a stipend of $6,000 intended to cover living expenses.
The New York Academy of Medicine was founded in 1847, at the time of its founding the New York City had been facing turmoil in medicine and public health on many fronts. The New York Academy of Medicine continues to address the health challenges facing New York City and the world’s rapidly growing urban populations.
Eligible applicants must be:
- Masters-level students currently enrolled in medical, dental, public health, public policy or graduate nursing schools in the United States.
- Outstanding medical, dental, public health, public policy, and graduate nursing students who are graduating in May 2017 are eligible to apply
- Undergraduates and Doctoral students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident or authorized to work in the U.S. throughout the award period.
How to Apply:
- In order to encourage, the applicant can apply through the given link: https://nyam.org/awards-grants/student-grants/margaret-e-mahoney-fellowships/#
- Applicants must propose a research project and research mentor.
- The project should focus on a health policy issue (government policy at national/state/local level, institutional, or health facility policy) with clear objectives and a plan for making progress on this issue that can be completed during a 10 week period.
- Projects must be conducted under the supervision of a senior professional mentor in an academic, government, or non-profit institution in the Greater New York/New Jersey area.
Applicants must complete an online application that requires uploading certain materials and forms:
- A personal statement (maximum 1000 words) about the applicant’s interest in the Fellowship that connects her/his education, leadership experience and career goals to the Mahoney program, and explains the proposed project. Applicants should describe the project’s policy relevance and what will be accomplished during the Fellowship time period.
- A letter of support from a project mentor
- A letter of recommendation from a senior faculty member at the applicant’s school affirming that applicant is a student in good standing and assessing her/his suitability for this kind of Fellowship experience and how it will contribute to her/his career development.
Applicants should instruct the senior faculty member to e-mail letter of recommendation directly to Mahoney-at-nyam.org according to the instructions provided in the online application.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Fellows will receive a stipend of $6,000 intended to cover living expenses.
- This stipend is payable in two installments: 2/3 at the beginning of the program and 1/3 upon review of their final reports. No support for indirect costs or laboratory expenses is provided.
- During the summer of their Mahoney Fellowships, Fellows are expected to work on their projects full-time during regular business hours for the entire 10-week period between June 6 and August 12, except for when participating in the programs’ required enrichment activities.
The 2017 fellowship program is available through June 5, 2017, to August 11, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, contact to The New York Academy of Medicine at 1216 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10029-5202 or e-mail: Mahoney-at-nyam.org