The Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC) has announced its biannual Data Scholarship Program. Data scholarships are available to students pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies in an accredited college or university. Multiple students may receive scholarships during each program cycle. The data scholarship program provides eligible students with no-cost access to LDC data.
The Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC) is an open consortium of universities, libraries, corporations and government research laboratories. LDC has grown into an organization that creates and distributes a wide array of language resources.
- Data scholarships are available to students pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies in an accredited college or university who do not otherwise have access to the necessary data.
- Scholarships are not restricted to any particular field of study. However, students must demonstrate a well-developed research agenda and a bona fide inability to pay for the requested data.
How to Apply:
The application consists of two parts:
- Data Use Proposal: Applicants must submit a proposal describing their intended use of the data. The proposal must contain the following:
- The database(s) requested
- A brief description of the research project
- A description of how the data will be used and how success will be measured
- Letter of Support: Applicants must submit one letter of support from their thesis advisor or department chair. The letter of support should:
- Describe the student: including the student’s name, university name, the field of study, etc. The advisor should elaborate on the type and duration of the relationship with the student.
- Describe research: indicate the LDC data to be used as well as describe the student’s research. The letter must evaluate the probability of success of the research.
- Describe need: elaborate on the funding situation of the department and comment on the lack of funds.
- Be printed on letter-head and include a signature
Data Use Proposal and Letter of Support can be mailed to: datascholarships-at-ldc.upenn.edu
The data scholarship program provides eligible students with no-cost access to LDC data. These awards are subsidized by the Consortium to help talented individuals complete language research tasks.
Application submission deadline for the Fall 2016 semester is September 15, 2016.
Link for More Information: