The Judge John R. Brown Scholarship Foundation is pleased to announce the (24th) twenty-fourth annual Brown Award.Any law student currently enrolled in an accredited law school in the United States seeking a J.D. or LL.B degree is eligible to submit a paper for the Award.The Award is in recognition of Excellence in Legal Writing in American Law Schools. The foundation is offering total $25,000 amount for 2017 Judge John R. Brown Award.
For over 45 years, Brown Sims has dedicated itself to providing its clients with experienced-based solutions tailored to their specific legal problems.Brown Sims has long recognized the important role a large firm can play in the local community.Brown Sims is actively engaged in local organizations, including the Houston Port chapter of the Propeller Club of the United States and the Houston Mariners Club.
The award is open to all law student currently enrolled in an accredited law school in the United States seeking a J.D. or LL.B degree.
How to Apply:
To be applying, the candidate must submit an article (two copies of a current legal writing) to the Foundation.
- The article must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a law school faculty member or legal professional other than the author of the paper.
- Only one paper may be submitted on behalf of any student and only one paper may be sponsored by any faculty member or legal professional.
- The submission must contain a separate sheet containing the title of the paper; the name, physical address, telephone number, and email address of the student; and the name, title, physical address, and email address of the student’s sponsor.
- There is no page limitation or restriction on the topic except that the writing must be on a legal subject.
In order to be considered, two copies of a current legal writing must be submitted to the Foundation c/o Kenneth G. Engerrand, Brown Sims, P.C., Tenth Floor, 1177 West Loop South, Houston, Texas 77027-9007.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The awards for 2017 will be as follows:
- $10,000 First Place
- $5,000 Second Place
- $3,000 Third Place
- $1,000 Finalist
- $1,000 Finalist
- $5,000 to the Scholarship Fund selected by the Dean of the law school in which the First Place candidate is enrolled.
- The submission must be postmarked no later than August 18, 2017.
- The 2017 recipient of the Brown Award will be notified by January 31, 2018, and listed with the other finalists at the website www.brownsims.com/about-brownsims/affiliations/-judge-john-r-brown-award.
Link for More Information: