The HOPE Scholarship is funded by the Georgia Lottery for Education and is available to Georgia residents who have demonstrated academic achievement. The scholarship provides money to assist students with their educational costs of attending a HOPE eligible postsecondary institution located in Georgia. Percentage (%) of tuition to be paid will be determined annually. Percentage for academic year 2015-2016 will be 81.68% of tuition for 15 hours at Georgia State University.
Georgia State University, an enterprising urban public research university, is a national leader in graduating students from widely diverse backgrounds.
- A student must be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen and meet the requirements to be classified as a Georgia resident according to University System of Georgia (USG) in-state tuition policy for either 12 or 24 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of classes of the school term for which the HOPE Scholarship is sought
- HOPE Scholarship recipients must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA at the end of each spring semester to continue eligibility
- Be enrolled at a USG eligible postsecondary institution in matriculated status leading to a degree.
- Be a legal resident of Georgia for tuition purposes
- Register with Selective Service (men only)
- Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Post secondary Education Act of 1990
- Not be in default or owe a refund on a federal or state financial aid program
- Not have a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
How to Apply:
Students have two options when applying for the HOPE Scholarship:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The link is: https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Complete the online GSFAPPS application. The link is: https://secure.gacollege411.org/Home/Opt_In.aspx?action=redirect&mode=gsfapps
Percentage for academic year 2015-2016 will be 81.68% of tuition for 15 hours at Georgia State University. Actual HOPE payments will be made on a “per credit hour” enrolled basis rate of $285.27.
Students must have an application submitted by the last day of the semester in which they are seeking the HOPE Scholarship. The Office of Student Financial Aid has established the following deadlines for applications:
- Summer Semester: July 17
- Fall Semester: November 17
- Spring Semester: April 15
Link for More Information:
For more information on the HOPE Scholarship, or to view the HOPE regulations, you can contact the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC): 770-724-9000 or 800-505-GSFC (4732).