Harvard Law School’s Islamic Legal Studies Program invites applications for Visiting Fellowships for the 2017–2018 academic year. This fellowship provides opportunities for outstanding scholars and legal practitioners to undertake research, writing, and scholarly engagement with Islamic law that furthers the Program’s mission. JD, LLM, SJD, Ph.D. or other comparable degree holders are welcome to apply. The winning fellows will get a stipend of up to $5,000 per month.
Harvard Law School’s Islamic Legal Studies Program (ILSP) is directed by Professors Intisar Rabb and Kristen Stilt. The Program encourages interdisciplinary research as well as quantitative and qualitative empirical methodologies.
- Applicants with a JD, LLM, SJD, Ph.D. or other comparable degrees who are interested in spending from one month up to one year in residence at Harvard Law School working on an independent project.
- Applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds, academic traditions, and scholarly interests are eligible
How to Apply:
For applying the fellowship, the candidates must submit on-line scholarship application form. The link is:
The candidates are also required to upload the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae
- A recent publication or a writing sample (approximately 25 pages in length). All publications or writing samples should be in English.
- A research statement, not to exceed 1000 words, that: 1) describes the proposed work during the fellowship period. The proposal should outline a specific research project that can be accomplished during the Fellow’s residence at Harvard Law School; and 2) sets forth a specific work output for the completed project (e.g., book, article, database/website entries).
- You will be asked to arrange that two letters of recommendation be sent directly from your referees to the Program via our online application system. Letters of recommendation should be sent directly from the referee to the Program via the online system.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Fellows will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 per month.
- Fellows will be expected to participate in Program activities, contribute to the intellectual life of the Program, and are encouraged to organize one or more academic events related to their Fellowship project.
All applications must be received no later than January 1, 2017.
Link for More Information:
For any questions or for further information, address queries to Ceallaigh Reddy, ILSP: LSC’s Program Administrator, at creddy-at-law.harvard.edu or +1.617.496.5145.