The Freeman Foundation hopes to develop a greater appreciation of Asian culture, history, and economy in the United States and a better understanding of the American people and of American institutions and purposes by the peoples of East Asia. Hence, they are offering the Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) to support U.S. based undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. Summer, quarter and academic awards consist of $3000, $5000, and $7000 scholarship amount.
Institute of International Education (IIE)’s mission is to advance international education and access to education worldwide.An independent not-for-profit founded in 1919, IIE is among the world’s largest and most experienced international education and training organizations.
To be eligible, candidates must meet all the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of application.
- Must currently receive need-based financial aid or demonstrate a verifiable need for financial assistance to participate in the proposed study abroad program. The applicant is required to submit the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) figure, calculated through FAFSA, with the statement of financial need through the online Freeman-ASIA application.
- Must be an undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 2.8, pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree (or associate’s degree), at a two-year or a four-year institution of higher education in the United States.
- Must apply through the U.S. home campus and have at least one term of enrollment remaining at the home institution in the U.S. upon returning from studying abroad in Asia.
- Must have applied or have been accepted to a study abroad based program in: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. A multi-country program is eligible only if the applicant will spend at least 8 weeks in one of the countries stated above and will have intensive language study during that period.
- Must have applied to or have been accepted by a study abroad based program that awards academic credits through the home campus or other U.S. accredited college or university. The proposed length of study in the host country must be a minimum of 8 weeks for a summer term, 10 weeks for a quarter term, and 12 weeks for a semester term.
- Must have little or no previous experience in the country in which he or she plans to study. A summer term applicant must not have spent more than 4 weeks in the proposed country of study within the last 5 years. A semester or an academic year term applicant must not have spent more than 6 weeks in the proposed country of study within the last 5 years.
- Must submit the online Freeman-ASIA Student Impact Survey within one month of returning to the United States and must initiate his/her service project to promote study abroad opportunities in Asia on the college campus and/or in the local community.
- Must submit the Freeman-ASIA Final Service Report on the implementation of his/her service project at the end of the term following his/her return to the United States.
- Must not be a previous Freeman-ASIA award recipient.
How to Apply:
To applying, the candidates may register or login with Facebook by the given link:
Be aware of the following requirements:
- You must complete the pre-screening page of the application before proceeding with the rest of the application.
- You are required to upload in PDF form an unofficial transcript from your current institution, as well as unofficial transcripts from any prior institutions you have attended since high school.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Grant amounts are:
- Summer Award is up to $3,000
- Semester/Quarter Award is up to $5,000
- Academic Year Award is up to $7,000
Application deadlines are as follows:
- Spring 2018 Student Deadline: October 18, 2017
- Spring 2018 Adviser Deadline: October 25, 2017
Link for more Information:
If you have any question regarding the Programs, contact to Institute of International Education, Tel: +1 212.984.5346 or Fax: +1 212.984.5325 or Email: Freeman-ASIA-at-iie.org