Thinking about teaching Computer Science, or incorporating CS into a subject you already teach? As The University of Texas at Austin (UTAustinX) is offering free online course named as Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers. This free online course will help you to learn key computer science topics to better teach your students and prepare for the Praxis & TExES Computer Science certification test.
This course is providing you extensive detailed instruction, examples and practice on everything from introductory programming topics such as variables, functions, loops and logical expressions to more advanced topics such as data structures, recursion, and object-oriented programming. The course will start on January 16, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 6 weeks
- Effort: 4-6 hours per week
- Subject: Education & Teacher Training
- Institution: The University of Texas (UTAustinX)
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: Starts on 16 January 2017
The University of Texas at Austin is the top-ranked public university in a nearly 1,000-mile radius and is ranked in the top 25 universities in the world, and it has been a member of the prestigious AAU since 1929.
UT Austin combines the academic depth and breadth of a world research institute (regularly ranking within the top three producers of doctoral degrees in the country) with the fun and excitement of a big-time collegiate experience.
This course is intended for prospective K-12 Computer Science teachers to review key topics in Technology Applications, Programming Languages, and CS special topics.
About This Course
The course provides extensive detailed instruction, examples and practice on everything from introductory programming topics such as variables, functions, loops and logical expressions to more advanced topics such as data structures, recursion, and object-oriented programming. The language of the course is English.
Teaching-Learning Strategy Multiple Intelligence 21st Century Skills and Computer Science Higher Order Thinking Skills Smart Applications for Smart Kids Collaborative Learning Healthy Computer Practices Playfulness Guided Inquiry-Based Learning.
How to Join This Course
You can sign in or register by the given link to join this free on-line course:
The syllabus of the course is given below that you will cover in six weeks
- Week 1: Software Design and Programming basics
- Week 2: Programming Fundamentals
- Week 3: Loops and Recursion
- Week 4: Data Structures
- Week 5: More OOP, Algorithms and Big O (Oh my!)
- Week 6: Technology Applications
- Week 6: Final Quiz
- Week 6: Discrete Math (Optional)
- Week 6: Digital Forensics (Optional)
Why Take This Course
- Advantage: This course will strengthen your understanding of key CS concepts and constructs and increase your confidence in teaching CS. The course providing extensive detailed instruction, functions, loops and logical expressions to more advanced topics such as data structures, recursion, and object oriented programming.
- Certificate: You can buy an instructor-signed certificate for $49 after the course and give yourself an additional incentive after completing this free online course.
After completing the course you learn these topics.
- Software Design Fundamentals.
- Data Structures.
- Algorithmic Analysis.
- Object Oriented Programming Concepts and Constructs.
John B. Owen: He is a Computer Science Instructor & PD Specialist at WeTeach_CS and The University of Texas at Austin. His first mission is to prepare them to take and pass the challenging certification test through the WeTeach_CS face-to-face workshops, as well as through the newly launched online course.
Basic knowledge of Computer Science
You Might Also Be Interested In
You should also try for “Introduction to Computer Science” free online course.
- Whether you plan to take a certification exam or not, this course will strengthen your understanding of key CS concepts and constructs and increase your confidence in teaching CS.
- You can also mention the certificate on a job application or resume, your certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: