El Puente Fellows Program offers a two-semester program for 20 undergraduates with the intention to prepare them for future educational opportunities at the graduate level. The candidates must enroll at UNM for Fall 2015 & Spring 2016. The structured program will provide the opportunity to work closely with graduate mentors, faculty, increase understanding and experience of academic research.
Since 1969, El Centro de la Raza (formerly Hispanic Student Services) has provided support services and academic programs for the largest and fastest growing ethnic population at the University of New Mexico. El Centro de la Raza provides tools for self-determination, personal responsibility and resiliency of Raza students at the University of New Mexico
Benefits of Program:
- Experience academic research
- Graduate School exploration, preparation and site visits
- Engage with faculty.
- Work closely with a graduate mentor.
- Engage with a prestigious community of scholars.
- Develop excellent research writing, reading skills and critical thinking.
- Understand and connect critical issues in your community to your field of study.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for acceptance into the fellowship:
- Enrolled at UNM for Fall 2015 & Spring 2016
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Undergraduate student with a minimum of 30 credit hours (completed or in progress atq time of application).
- Able to commit to one academic year (Fall and Spring) and 10 hours weekly
- Must meet 1 of 3 of the following criteria:
- Member of an underrepresented ethnic group in higher education
- First generation college student
- Qualify as low income
How to Apply:
1) For applying the fellowship, the candidates must submit the following material:
- Completed and Signed Application Form. The application form can be downloaded by the link:
- Transcripts (Unofficial transcripts from all colleges & universities attended)
- Typed Personal Statement (3 pages in length, Times New Roman font, 1.5 spaced). Please address the following in your personal statement letter:
- Briefly discuss your personal background: Include family history, socioeconomic background, community and educational history.
- Discuss your research interests, educational goals and career objectives.
- What do you expect to gain and learn from this fellowship
- Why is this opportunity important to you personally
- One Professional Letter of Recommendation
- Income Documentation
2) Submit your completed application packet to (with the exception of letter of recommendation) :
El Centro de la Raza
1153 Mesa Vista Hall, MSC06 3830
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Deadline for submitted the completed application packet is June 26, 2015.
$2,000 scholarship award will be given for completion of fellowship ($1,000 Fall and $1,000 Spring).
Link for More Information:
The candidates can contact to Dayra Fallad at El Centro de la Raza for more information at 505-277-5020 or they can mail to dfallad-at-unm.edu