El Puente Fellows Program offers a two-semester program for 20 undergraduates with the intention to prepare them for future educational opportunities at the graduate level. The candidates must enroll at UNM for Fall 2015 & Spring 2016. The structured program will provide the opportunity to work closely with graduate mentors, faculty, increase understanding and experience of academic research.
Since 1969, El Centro de la Raza (formerly Hispanic Student Services) has provided support services and academic programs for the largest and fastest growing ethnic population at the University of New Mexico. El Centro de la Raza provides tools for self-determination, personal responsibility and resiliency of Raza students at the University of New Mexico
Benefits of Program:
- Experience academic research
- Graduate School exploration, preparation and site visits
- Engage with faculty.
- Work closely with a graduate mentor.
- Engage with a prestigious community of scholars.
- Develop excellent research writing, reading skills and critical thinking.
- Understand and connect critical issues in your community to your field of study.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for acceptance into the fellowship:
- Enrolled at UNM for Fall 2015 & Spring 2016
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Undergraduate student with a minimum of 30 credit hours (completed or in progress atq time of application).
- Able to commit to one academic year (Fall and Spring) and 10 hours weekly
- Must meet 1 of 3 of the following criteria:
- Member of an underrepresented ethnic group in higher education
- First generation college student
- Qualify as low income
How to Apply:
Deadline for submitted the completed application packet is June 26, 2015.
$2,000 scholarship award will be given for completion of fellowship ($1,000 Fall and $1,000 Spring).
Link for More Information:
The candidates can contact to Dayra Fallad at El Centro de la Raza for more information. 505-277-5020 or they can mail to dfallad-at-unm.edu