CreativeNonfiction.org in partnership with the Biomimicry Center at Arizona State University is hosting a $5,000 essay contest called as “Nature from Learning.” For the essay contest, they are “looking for well-crafted narratives that will illuminate the relationship between humans and the environment, particularly as we face the challenges of climate change.” The Biomimicry Center at Arizona State University will award $5,000 for best essay and Creative Nonfiction editors will award $1,000 for runner-up.
The Creative Nonfiction Foundation was incorporated in 1994 and is a private not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. The Foundation pursues educational and publishing initiatives in the genre of literary nonfiction.
The contest is open for both U.S. students as well as International students.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for scholarship, the candidates must submit essays aboutLearning from Nature.
- Essays must be previously unpublished and no longer than 4,000 words
- They are interested in stories about how we learn from nature—whether it’s airlines developing boarding methods based on movement in ant colonies or aviation engineers studying eagles’ wings in order to build more aerodynamic planes
- Essays must be vivid and dramatic
- Combine a strong and compelling narrative with an informative or reflective element and reach beyond a strictly personal experience for some universal or deeper meaning.
- Well-written prose, rich with detail and a distinctive voice
- All essays must tell true stories and be factually accurate
You may submit essays online or by regular mail:
- Send manuscript, accompanied by cover letter with complete contact information including the title of the essay and word count and an SASE or email address for response to:
Attn: LEARNING FROM NATURE
5501 Walnut Street, Suite 202
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
- You can also submit essay on-line. There is a $3 convenience fee to submit online. The link is: https://creativenonfiction.submittable.com/submit/48472
- The Biomimicry Center at Arizona State University will award $5,000 for best essay, and Creative Nonfiction editors will award $1,000 for runner-up.
- All essays will be considered for publication in a special “Learning from Nature” issue of the magazine to be published in fall 2016.
Application Deadline is 11:59 pm EST February 1, 2016.
Link for more Information: