Show how access to financial services can empower people and communities around the world. Capture and share the impact of financial inclusion by submitting photos to the 2017 CGAP Photo Contest. The Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP) is looking for original, striking images portraying the impact of microfinance and financial inclusion for poor people around the world. The contest is open to all photographers who are at least 18 years old. The CGAP mission is to improve the lives of poor people by spurring innovations and advancing knowledge and solutions that promote responsible, sustainable, inclusive financial markets. The top photographs will receive prizes and recognition, and all entrants help to show in vivid and memorable ways why financial inclusion matters. The CGAP will provide gift certificate of $2000 to grand prize winner, $500 to each category, and $500 to each Regional Spotlight for photography equipment and accessories.
The CGAP (the Consultative Group to Assist the Poor) is a global partnership of over 30 leading organizations that seek to advance financial inclusion. CGAP develops innovative solutions through practical research and active engagement with financial service providers, policy makers, and funders to enable approaches at scale.
- All photographers who are at least 18 years old at the time of entry are eligible. (The operational team of CGAP, the World Bank Group, and their immediate families are excluded from participating.)
- CGAP is seeking entries in both rural and urban settings.
How to Apply:
To enter the contest, the applicant can submit online application and upload photo through the given link: http://photocontest.cgap.org/#
Each photo submission must be accompanied by a brief caption, describing the activity or situation depicted the date, location and country where the photo was taken, and where appropriate the name of the person(s) photographed. Entries must:
- Be the original work of the entrant and shot in the last two years.
- Treat all subjects with respect and dignity.
- Respect the rights, sensitivities, and culture of communities and/or persons depicted, including the subject’s right to consent to be
- Fairly represent the situation, subject’s identity and physical location of the image, without alteration (other than standard photographic techniques for optimization, including removal of dust, cropping, adjustments to colour and contrast, etc.)
- Up to 20 photographs may be submitted per person. Entries may be entered by uploading digital files.
- Digital images or scans of prints may be uploaded. Original files of camera-made digital photos may not exceed five megabytes (5 MB).
- These images may reflect a range of products and services, people and institutions, and may touch on social, economic, developmental, and technological issues.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Grand Prize Winner- US$2000 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories.
- Categories: $500 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories:
- Innovations in Digital Finance: From paying school fees to buying solar energy, digital finance is a means for achieving broader development goals. Show us innovative ways people are using digital finance to improve their lives.
- Building Sustainable Livelihoods: Savings, credit, and insurance provide poor people with a wider range of tools to help manage their economic lives. Show how poor people are building more resilient lives.
- Creating Opportunities for People in Crisis: War, conflict and natural disasters are forcing record numbers of people worldwide from their homes. Show how people coping with humanitarian crises conduct their economic and financial lives.
- Connecting People and Services: By 2020, three-quarters of the world’s population are expected to be connected to mobile networks. Show us how digital technologies are reaching excluded groups, such as women and youth, and expanding people’s opportunities.
- Regional Spotlight: US$500 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories:
- The Middle East and North Africa: In Arab countries, 71 percent of adults are financially excluded, one of the highest levels in the world, according to CGAP research. Women are far less likely than men to have a bank account. Show the financial lives of people in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Latin America and Caribbean: Close to one-third of adults make mobile payments in this region and account ownership is rising. Show how financial inclusion makes a difference for people living in Latin American and the Caribbean.
- Winners for photographs taken in each of the following regions also will be awarded a US$300 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories: Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, East Asia and Pacific
- Judges’ Honorable Mention: Judges may select up to 8 winners to receive US$250 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories.
- People’s Choice Winner US$100 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories.
- The CGAP Photo Contest entries must be submitted no later than September 29, 2017, by 11:59 pm US EDT.
- Voting for the People’s Choice Award begins on September 30, at 12:00 am US EDT and ends 11:59 pm US EDT on October 6, 2017.
Link for More Information:
For questions regarding the 2017 Photo Contest, contact to Michael Rizzo at mrizzo1-at-worldbank.org