The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) Organization is now offering the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship in honor of Frederick Douglass. This fellowship is a partnership between the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions and the Council on International Educational Exchange. The program is only available to raise undergraduate sophomores and juniors who have at least a 3.00 GPA.The purpose of the program is to provide scholarships opportunities for those students who demonstrate a financial need.Ten (10) Fellows will be selected. Awards will cover the full cost of travel and participation in a four-week study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a non-profit organization promoting international education and exchange. It was founded in 1947 and is based in the United States. The organization is headquartered in Portland, Maine.The Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions (CMSI), housed at the University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education, serves as a repository for research, data, best practices, emerging innovations, and ideas on and within MSIs.
- The applicants will be current freshmen or sophomores with a minimum 3.00 GPA who are in good academic standing.
- The applicants must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident and should be Pell Grant eligible.
- Lastly, in order to be eligible for this opportunity, at the time of application students should be enrolled at an accredited Minority Serving institution.
- This opportunity is for low-income Therefore, students must be able to demonstrate financial need.
- Students who are not Pell Grant eligible, but can provide official documentation from their institution’s financial aid office that indicates financial need may apply.
- Applicants should be undergraduate college students that classify as rising sophomores or rising juniors at the time of participation (summer 2018)
- This application is for students interested in the Fellowship for participation in the summer 2018 experience in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Fellows from prior cohorts are ineligible from applying again
How to Apply:
In order to apply, the applicant may submit online application through the given link: https://upenn.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cvhmu5tHfSGgISx
- Academic Transcript: upload a copy (in .pdf format) of your institution’s transcripts
- Pell Grant Eligibility: upload a copy (in .pdf format) of your Pell Grant eligibility
- Personal Video: upload a short 2-minute video that provides a detailed explanation of your objectives for study abroad. In this explanation discuss how the combination of your major and participation in study abroad will support your development and help you become a global leader. Also, discuss how this particular scholarship will help you meet your goals.
- Personal Essay: Discuss why you believe that study abroad is important for students from Minority Serving Institutions and how you plan to share your study abroad experience with others on your campus (no more than 800 words – enter the URL for a YouTube video).
- Presidential Letter of Recommendation
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- 10 Fellows will be selected from accredited Minority Serving Institutions. Fellowships will be awarded based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and presidential nomination
- Awards will cover the full cost of travel, lodging, program field trips, and participation in a four-week summer study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Visas and passports will also be covered; however, students will be responsible for securing their own passport.
- Meals and recreational activities are the responsibility of each individual student
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship applications are due September 15, 2017, by 5:00 pm EST. The award will be announced on November 1, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, contact to Paola “Lola” EsmieuPenn Center for Minority Serving Institutions Associate Director for Programs at pesmieu-at-gse.upenn.edu.