Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education–Economics Institute (CERGE-EI) is excited to announce “International PhD Scholarship in Economics in Czech Republic.” This amazing scholarship is available to those who want to pursue PhD degree level. CERGE-EI does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religion. All students are awarded full tuition waiver for the entire duration of their PhD program.
Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education–Economics Institute (CERGE-EI) is an academic institution. It provides an American-style PhD program in economics, a US-chartered Master of Arts program in Applied Economics (the MAE program), and the UPCES study abroad program.
Eligible students include:
- Any individual from any country is welcome to submit an application.
There is no application fee.
- CERGE-EI does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religion. Background requirements strong background in mathematics is an advantage.
- Sufficient proficiency in english to read, write and fully understand study material is necessary.
Previous education in economics is welcomed, but not required. Many successful students have backgrounds in math, law, political science or other disciplines.
- Educational requirements: A Master’s degree or equivalent that can be notified (recognized) in the Czech Republic (or expectation to complete a Master’s degree by June of the year for which you are applying) is the best credential for admission. Strong students with a Bachelor’s Degree may also apply directly to the PhD program.
- However, their financial support is determined on an individual basis. Masters degree holders are usually given full financial support. Alternatively, students whose highest credential is a Bachelor’s degree may apply for our Visiting Master’s in Economics scheme.”
How to Apply:
Kindly login yourself through the link given below, before applying. The link is:
In order for your application to be processed, you must submit:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Statement of motivation: submit a 1000-2000 word statement in English describing your academic and research background, your interests and career goals, and how the program at CERGE-EI will help you meet your objectives.
- Verified copies of your Bachelor and Master Diplomas and transcripts (diploma supplement) with certified translations into English if needed.
- Two letters of recommendation.
All documents and the application must be submitted to:
PhD in Economics
P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7
111 21 Prague 1, Czech Republic
A stipend is paid from the first to the fourth year of study:
- 1st Year: Standard amount approximately 7,100 USD per year
This amount may increase up to 7,700 USD per year if the student shows outstanding performance or be lowered to the minimum amount of 5,000 USD per year if the student does not fulfill academic requirements.
- 2nd Year and 3rd Year: Standard amount approximately 7,700 USD per year
This amount may increase up to 8,300 USD per year if the student shows outstanding performance or be lowered to the minimum amount of 5,000 USD per year if the student does not fulfill academic requirements.
- 4th Year: Standard amount 6,000 7,700 USD per year
This amount may increase up to 11,000 USD per year on the basis of outstanding performance or be lowered to the minimum amount of 3,500 5,300 USD per year if the student does not fulfill academic requirements.
- The total support package is reviewed each year and is set at a level that enables students to afford a dormitory space, to eat in the student cafeterias, and to cover reasonable incidental expenses in Prague.
The package is neither intended nor sufficient for a student to support a family while studying at CERGE-EI.
- The level of the performance stipend rises over time (the exact amount depends on academic performance and other study requirements, such as fulfilling assistantship duties).
The stipend is paid monthly in Czech crowns (CZK).
- In addition to the standard amount, most students in the fourth year receive an Advanced Student Fellowship, such as a Teaching Fellowship (2,400 USD per course taught).
You can apply on or before April 30, 2016.
Link for more information: