The Center for Alcohol Policy Organization is sponsoring a writing contest named as Center for Alcohol Policy 10th Annual Essay Contest. The contest is open to all interested participants who are over the age of 18 as of December 2017. Students, academics, practicing attorneys, policymakers and members of the general public are encouraged to submit essays. The contest is intended to foster debate, analysis, and examination of state alcohol regulation. The purpose of the Center is to educate policymakers, regulators and the public about alcohol, its uniqueness, and its regulation. The organization will award a total of $8,500 to the first, second and third place winners.
The Center for Alcohol Policy is a 501c(3) organization was founded by the National Beer Wholesalers Association and receives funding from America’s beer distributors and others interested in exploring, researching and expanding education on alcohol regulation.
- All persons who are over the age of 18 as of December 2017 are eligible to apply
- Students, academics, practicing attorneys, policymakers and members of the general public are encouraged to submit essays.
- No relatives of individuals working for the Center for Alcohol Policy, its leadership or contest judges are eligible to submit entries for this contest.
- Any interested person working for a government entity must certify their ability to enter and win this contest prior to submitting an essay and comply with appropriate ethics laws.
How to Apply:
To enter, the applicant must write an essay and download the Essay Contest Entry Formon the given link:http://www.centerforalcoholpolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/National-Essay-Contest-Entry-Form-2017.pdf
- The contest topic is: The Supreme Court has recognized “temperance” as a permissible goal of state alcohol regulation. Define temperance as it would apply in today’s alcohol marketplace. Is it still relevant today? Should temperance still be recognized as a permissible goal of alcohol regulation?
- The essay should be submitted double spaced with the at least 12-point font in Times New Roman format and should not exceed 25 pages in length, exclusive of endnotes.
The complete essays may be e-mailed or mailed as a hard copy to:
- Mailed to Center for Alcohol Policy; Attn: Essay Contest, 1101 King St., Suite 600-A, Alexandria, VA, 22314. (Essays must be accompanied by an entry form)
- E-mail to essay-at-centerforalcoholpolicy.org
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Cash prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners in the amounts of $5,000, $2,500 and $1,000 respectively.
- The winning essays will be posted indefinitely to the Center for Alcohol Policy website and attempt to further highlight these winning entries will be undertaken.
Essay submissions and the required Essay Contest Entry Form must be received no later than December 1, 2017, at 5:30 P.M. EST. Winners will be announced in early 2018.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, contact the Center for Alcohol Policy by call at (703) 519-3090 or essay-at-centerforalcoholpolicy.org