The Harrisburg Branch of AAUW (American Association of University Women) is now offering its annual scholarship the Beverly J. Smith Memorial Scholarship in honor of its past president. Ms. Smith, a nationally known and respected expert on refugee resettlement and immigration.To honor her memory, the branch assists with the education of a woman working towards a Bachelor’s degree.The program is open to female students who are enrolled as a full-time student and attending an accredited college or university.The winners of the Beverly J. Smith Memorial Scholarship will get up to $2,500 award toward their education.
The AAUW Harrisburg is a branch of the AAUW national organization was formed in 1921. Their scholarship program helps assists local college students as well as women returning students. They also support national AAUW scholarships and research toward educational equity for women and girls.
Eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must have permanent resident of Dauphin, Cumberland or Perry County
- The applicant must be attending an accredited college or university located in Pennsylvania
- Female student having completed at least 60 credits toward a Bachelor’s degree by end of spring 2017 term
- The applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in the fall 2017 term
- The applicant must have Demonstrate academic achievement with at least a 3.4 GPA 6. Demonstrate financial need
How to Apply:
In order to apply, the applicant may download application form go through the given link: http://harrisburg-pa.aauw.net/files/2017/03/HbgAAUW20172018BeverlySmithScholarshipAnnouncementFINAL.pdf
- Official transcript through spring term 2017
- Financial aid form
- Verification of enrollment
- Three (3) personal references (2 of which must be academic and
- Essay: type or print your essay on the following questions (limit your response to one page and 300 words maximum):
- AAUW’s mission is to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy and research.
- Beverly Smith’s philosophy of life could be summarized in the following Chinese proverb she favored: Tell me, I forget to Show me, I remember to Involve me, I understand
- How would your goals in life and field of study allow you to incorporate the values of AAUW and Beverly Smith?
Applicants must submit the application materials to the AAUW Scholarship Chair, P.O. Box 60911, Harrisburg, PA 17106-0911
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The Harrisburg Branch of AAUW A is awarding the scholarship in the amount of $2,500.The scholarship recipient may also receive Branch support to attend the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders.
The application deadline is due on June 2, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any additional question, contact the Harrisburg Branch of AAUW at HbgAAUWScholarship-at-gmail.com.