The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation believes that a carefully reasoned and systematic understanding of the forces of nature and society when applied inventively and wisely, can lead to a better world for all. The Sloan Research Fellowships are available to students, who hold equivalent position at a college, university, or other degree-granting institution in the United States or Canada. In order to apply, the applicant must hold a Ph.D. (or equivalent) in chemistry, computational or evolutionary molecular biology, computer science, economics, mathematics, neuroscience, ocean sciences, physics, or a related field. The Foundation believes that these fields—and the scholars and practitioners who work in them—are chief drivers of the nation’s health and prosperity. The 2018 Sloan Research Fellows will receive fellowships in the amount of $65,000.
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation makes grants primarily to support original research and education related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and economics. Founded in 1934 by industrialist Alfred P. Sloan Jr., the Foundation is a not-for-profit grant-making institution that supports high quality, impartial scientific research, fosters a robust, diverse scientific workforce, strengthens public understanding and engagement with science, and promotes the health of the institutions of scientific endeavor.
- Candidates must hold a tenure-track (or equivalent) position at a college, university, or other degree-granting institution in the United States or Canada. Tenure track faculty positions at the candidate’s institution must include a yearly teaching requirement.
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D. (or equivalent) in chemistry, computational or evolutionary molecular biology, computer science, economics, mathematics, neuroscience, ocean sciences, physics, or a related field;
- Candidates’ most recent Ph.D. (or equivalent) must have been awarded on or after September 1, 2011. Exceptions may apply.
- In order to be considered for a Sloan Research Fellowship:
- A candidate must have a letter of nomination from a department head or other senior researcher. Submissions unaccompanied by a nomination letter from a senior researcher are not accepted.
- More than one candidate from a department may be nominated, but no more than three.
How to Apply:
To apply for the fellowship, the applicant can submit application and upload all application material on the given link: https://sloan.org/fellowships/apply
- A letter from a department head or other senior researcher officially nominating the candidate and describing his or her qualifications, initiative, and research;
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae (including a list of the candidate’s scientific publications);
- Two representative articles by the candidate;
- A brief (one-page) statement by the candidate describing his or her significant scientific work and immediate research plans;
- Three letters from other researchers (preferably not all from the same institution) written in support of the candidate’s nomination.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- These two-year fellowships are awarded yearly to 126 researchers in recognition of distinguished performance and a unique potential to make substantial contributions to their field.
- Fellowships are for a two-year term, beginning on September 15th of the award year.
- Fellowships are paid in a single lump sum.
- The 2017 fellowship amount is $60,000. The 2018 fellowship amount will be $65,000.
- Fellowship funds may be used by the Fellow for any expense judged supportive of the fellow’s research including staffing, professional travel, lab expenses, equipment, or summer salary support.
- Fellowship funds may not be used for indirect costs or overhead charges.
- Fellows are obligated to notify the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation if they are changing institutions.
- Once per year, Fellows (or their institution) are obligated to submit both a substantive report (detailing what is being done) and a financial report (detailing how much money has been spent and on what).
All nomination materials must be submitted through the Foundation’s online application system no later than 11:59 PM EDT, September 15, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, email at researchfellows-at-sloan.org