The Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) has announced the kickoff of its annual Essay Scholarship Contest for 2016. FDMHA organizes the essay contest is intended to empower talented young people and to honor the life and legacy of Frederick Douglass. The contest is open to senior high school students. The winner of the competitive annual contest is awarded a $3,000 prize, second place winner will receive $2,000 and a third place winner will receive $1,000.
The Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association was enacted on June 6, 1900. The purpose and objectives of FDMHA are achieved through charitable, literary and educational activities.
- Senior high school students attending public schools in Washington DC, or in the State of Maryland or the Commonwealth of Virginia, within a 50 mile radius of the District of Columbia.
- Students must be enrolled in college in the fall of 2016 or the spring semester of 2017.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for scholarship, complete registration form. Form can be downloaded through the given link: http://www.frederickdouglassmha.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Essay-Contest-2016-00714377xAC2B5-1.pdf
- Contestants are required to write an original and creative essay addressing the following topic: “What Would Frederick Douglass state to the members of the 2016 Democratic or Republican Convention to inspire their Party?”
- Do not include name or other personal information on essay.
- Essays can be no more than 1000 words but must be a minimum of 750 words. Citations and bibliography are not included in the word count.
- Essays must be the original work of the contestant.
- Essays must have a minimum of one source that is NOT Wikipedia, magazines, newspapers, or blogs.
- Essays must include endnotes, footnotes, or a bibliography (not included in word count).
- Send registration form with essay to:
FDMHA, Attn: Essay Scholarship,
P.O. Box 1346, Lanham,
MD 20703 or
- You can email to fdmhaessay-at-gmail.com
The winner of the competitive annual contest is awarded a $3,000 prize. A second place winner receives $2,000 and a third place winner receives $1,000.
Entries are due by 11:59 p.m. on February 29, 2016.
Link for More Information: