The Sidney B. Williams, Jr. Intellectual Property Law Scholarship is administered by the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. The scholarship is open to the students who are currently enrolled in or have been accepted to an ABA accredited law school. The scholarship addresses the need of intellectual property groups in law firms and intellectual property law departments in corporations to improve their diversity profiles by increasing the number of minority candidates. The Sidney B. Williams Scholarship is for $10,000 per school year (two semesters, excluding summer school semesters and intersession) beginning with the fall semester.
The American Intellectual Property Law Education Foundation’s mission is to promote diversity in the intellectual property bar.
- Currently enrolled in or have been accepted to an ABA accredited law school. The devotion of the law school to intellectual property curricula shall not be considered in awarding scholarships.
- Demonstrated intent to engage in the full-time practice of intellectual property law.
- US citizenship.
- A personal or telephonic interview
- Applicants related to a trustee of AIPLEF, a council member of the ABA-IPL Section, Officer or member of the Board of Directors of the AIPLA, or a member of the AIPLEF Scholarship Committee are ineligible to receive a scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients are required to join and maintain membership in AIPLA.
How to Apply:
The candidates can download the scholarship application form through the given link: http://www.aiplef.org/wp-content/uploads/Williams_2017.pdf
- FAFSA Form and any supporting documentation
- Undergraduate, Graduate and Law (if applicable) Transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation from, but not limited to, former teachers, college administrators, community leaders or other similar persons concerning the academic ability, character, reputation or professional aptitude of the applicant.
- Current Resume
- Essay and Statement of Intent
Completed applications may be submitted by mail and/or electronically to Deshuandra Walker at the address shown below. (Please indicate on e-mail when and how the required attachments will be sent separately).
Manager, Student Support Programs
Thurgood Marshall College Fund
1770 St. James Place, Suite 414 | Houston, TX 77056
p: 713.955.1073 | f: 202.448.1017
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- $10,000 per school year (two semesters, excluding summer school semesters and intersession) beginning with the fall semester
- Renewable, upon reapplication by the student, for up to three academic years (totaling six semesters for full-time or part-time enrollment, excluding summer school semesters and inter-sessions).Important note, existing scholarship recipients must re-apply each year
- Scholarship money can be applied to the verifiable costs associated with normal tuition and usual fees relating to full time and part time enrollment status (such as, but not limited to, student activity fees, law school or university fees, administrative fees) and is paid directly to and administered through the law school the recipient is attending, in accordance with the policies of the school for the use and application of scholarship funds
A complete application (including renewal applications) must be received by March 15, 2017, to be considered for a fall semester scholarship award.
Link for More Information:
You can contact them by email: admin-at-aiplef.org