The Simons Foundation is pleased to announce the “Simons Postdoctoral Fellowship” to support research on fundamental problems in marine microbial ecology.The program is open to all Ph.D. or equivalent degree holder who have no more than one year of postdoctoral experience. Applicants who are already involved in ocean research are also encouraged to apply. The foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. The foundation anticipates awarding five fellowships in 2017. Fellows will receive an annual stipend of $62,000, an annual allowance of up to $10,000 for health insurance and an annual research allowance of $10,000 for the fellow.
Cofounded in New York City by Jim and Marilyn Simons, the foundation celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2014. The foundation’s support of scientists generally takes the form of direct grants to individual investigators and projects, through their academic institutions.The Simons Foundation at its core exists to support basic — or discovery-driven — scientific research, undertaken in pursuit of understanding the phenomena of our world.
- Applicants must have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degree within two years of the fellowship’s start date.
- Preference will be for applicants with no more than one year of postdoctoral experience.
- Applicants may be citizens of any country.
How to Apply:
To submit your proposal, the applicant can log in to proposalCENTRAL using your username and password. The link is: https://proposalcentral.altum.com/default.asp
Applications must include:
- Short summary of prior research experience and a personal autobiographical statement (two pages)
- Brief research proposal with title (two to three pages, plus references and one page for figures)
- Biosketches of the applicant and sponsor, including publications
- Technical abstract
- Letters of recommendation from applicant’s thesis advisor and two additional research scientists, and letter of support from the postdoctoral research sponsor, who must acknowledge acceptance of the applicant to his or her laboratory. Confidential letters must be submitted through proposalCENTRAL.
- Budget (three years)
- Brief budget justification
- Renewable reagents and data-sharing plan
- Signed signature page with institutional approval to document the commitment from the fellow’s institution(s) to administer the fellowship
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The award is for three years, contingent upon satisfactory annual progress reports, and will include an annual stipend of $62,000, an annual allowance of up to $10,000 for health insurance for the fellow and family and an annual research allowance of $10,000 for the fellow.
- Any unexpended health insurance funds must be returned to the Simons Foundation.
- The research allowance may be used for research supplies, small equipment (including computers), attendance at scientific meetings and other research-related travel.
- Up to $2,000 of the research allowance may be used for relocation of the fellow and family to the host institution.
- Relocation costs must be in accordance with the policies of the host institution.
- Awards can only be issued to nonprofit research universities or research institutions in the U.S.
- Payment cannot be made directly to fellows. No indirect or overhead costs may be charged.
The application deadline is June 15, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any query about the program, email at lifesciences-at-simonsfoundation.org