The American Society of Human Genetics’ (ASHG) is pleased to announce the “12th Annual DNA Day Essay Contest”. This contest is open to students in grades 9-12 worldwide and asks students to examine, question, and reflect on important concepts in genetics. The ASHG’s mission is to advance human genetics in science, health, and society through excellence in research, education, and advocacy. The ASHG Organization will provide a total of $5,000 prizes to winning candidates.
The American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), founded in 1948, is the primary professional membership organization for human genetics specialists worldwide.The Society’s nearly 8,000 members are scientists, health care professionals, and others with an interest in the field of human genetics.
Essays will be accepted from high school students (grades 9-12) in the U.S. and internationally. A teacher or administrator must submit the essay and authenticate that the submission is the original work of the student.
How to Apply:
The applications are accepted online only. Interested candidates may apply for the DNA Day Essay Contest, through the given link: http://www.ashg.org/education/dnaday.shtml
- Essays must be the product of an individual student’s work; group submissions are not permitted.
- Parents may submit the essays of home-schooled students only.
- Only one entry may be submitted for each student.
- All essays must be written in English and are limited to 750 words, including in-text citations. Essay titles are optional and will be counted towards the word limit. Reference lists do not count toward the 750-word
- Each teacher may only submit six student essays per class, for up to three classes.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The winners will get following prizes:
- 1st Place Winner: $1,000 for student & $1,000 genetics materials grant
- 2nd Place Winner: $600 for student & $600 genetics materials grant
- 3rd Place Winner: $400 for student & $400 genetics materials grant
- Honorable Mention: 10 student prizes of $100 each
Essays must be submitted electronically through the ASHG submission site no later than 5:00 pm EST on March 10, 2017.
Link for more Information:
If you have any question, email to dnaday-at- ashg.org.