The Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) is offering Undergraduate STEM Research Scholarship Program that is funded by NASA and the Commonwealth of Virginia contributions. Students must be majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) and have a specific faculty-mentored research project that has NASA or aerospace relevance. The goal of the scholarship is to promoting undergraduate aerospace research while recognizing high academic achievement and promise. The VSGC Undergraduate STEM Research Scholarship Program provides awards of up to $8,500 to rising juniors and seniors.
About The Organization:
The Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) is a coalition of five Virginia colleges and universities, NASA, state educational agencies, Virginia’s Center for Innovative Technology, and other institutions representing diverse aerospace education and research.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student (minimum 12 credit hours) at one of the five Virginia Space Grant Consortium member institutions: Virginia Tech, University of Virginia, Old Dominion University, The College of William and Mary, or Hampton University
- Must have completed at least two years of a STEM undergraduate program and be classified as a junior or senior during the 2017-2018 academic year (must have at least junior status by summer 2017 if choosing this option)
- Must be in a program of study demonstrating an interest in STEM and supporting NASA’s mission
- Must have a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Must not graduate before May 2018
How to Apply:
To be considered for a scholarship, the candidates must sign-in through the given link:
- Statement of academic goals: A brief statement written by the applicant relating to the reasons for his/her desire to enter a profession in a STEM field
- Plan of study: An outline of intended coursework for the remainder of your undergraduate degree program (uploaded as an attachment)
- Resume: Submit a short summary of your career and qualifications, list any relevant education information and significant accomplishments (uploaded as an attachment)
- Research Proposal aligned with NASA’s mission: VSGC’s undergraduate STEM Research Scholarship Program encourages talented undergraduate majors to pursue aerospace-related fields and does research with a strong alignment with NASA’s four Mission Directorates.
- Letters of Recommendation: provide the names and contact information for two references of which one must be the applicant’s current faculty advisor.
- Transcript: An unofficial transcript with all grades through fall semester 2016 is required and can be submitted as a PDF in the online application (upload as an attachment).
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Awards are one-year, non-renewable scholarships. Students may apply for the following:
- A $3,000 student stipend during the 2017-18 academic year and
- A $3,500 stipend during summer 2017 or 2018 (must be specified in the application) plus,
- $1,000 research allocation for materials and travel to support research activities conducted during the academic year and/or
- $1,000 research allocation during the summer 2017 or 2018 (if doing summer research).
- The maximum award per year cannot exceed $8,500.
Applications are due by February 13, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, email at VSGC-at-odu.edu