The Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) is pleased to announce that the application for Secure Indiana Scholarship Program is now available. The scholarship is intended to provide higher education financial assistance for Indiana students who wish to pursue a degree. The scholarship rewards those who volunteer for public safety organization. A total of 13 scholarships up to $2000 will be awarded to the winning candidates.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) Foundation, one of the first of its kind in the nation, provides financial support for critical public safety needs across Indiana.
An Indiana resident who is an incoming or continuing student who:
• Attends or will be attending an accredited Indiana college.
• Must have a grade point average of 2.8 higher on a 4.0 scale.
• Volunteer at a public safety organization such as fire, law enforcement, emergency management or emergency medical services (validated by chief executive). IDHS will determine compliance eligibility. For more information on the compliance of an organization contact the council coordinator.
• Applicants who are state employees or special state appointees are not eligible for a scholarship.
How to Apply:
• All applications will be processed through the Indiana Grants Management System (iGMS https://myoracle.in.gov/hs/main.do )
• If you are interested in submitting an application, contact grants-at-dhs.in.gov and you will be given a vendor form, username and access to the system
Application will require the following:
• Complete a foundation scholarship application form and include an official college or high school (for incoming freshmen) transcript.
• A recommendation letter from the public safety organization’s chief executive describing the volunteer work completed by the applicant.
• A resume or list of past employment, awards, honors, and/or volunteer/service activities.
• A minimum 500-word essay describing why the applicant applying for this scholarship and why the applicant believes volunteering is important.
• A completed Vendor Information Form (State Form 53788)
• A full-time student with at least twelve (12) credit hours is eligible for a $2,000 scholarship
• A part-time student with at least six (6) hours is eligible for a $1,000 scholarship
The application period for the 2016 Indiana Homeland Security Foundation Scholarships is May 17 to July 15, 2016.
Link for More Information:
Questions should be directed to Grants Management of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security:
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
302 West Washington St., Rm. E208
Indianapolis, IN 46204