The Freie Universität Berlin offers up to one year of research support at the FreieUniversität Berlin – one of Germany‘s leading research universities. U.S. and Canadian Ph.D.s students who have received their doctorates in the last two calendar years are eligible for the fellowship. The mission of the program is promoting to a new generation of young North American scholars with specialized knowledge of modern and contemporary Germany and Europe. Winners will get EUR 1400 per month on a dissertation project and EUR 1600 per month for a postdoctoral research project.
Freie Universität Berlin was founded in 1948 by professors and students. The idea of founding a free university found widespread support in the international community, including financial support.
- Applicants whose main residence was North America before they entered the Ph.D. program, who have received previous academic degrees (B.A. or M.A.) or worked in North America.
- Eligible are U.S. and Canadian Ph.D.s who have received their doctorates within the past two calendar years.
- Applicants must be full-time graduate students at a North American university
- Applicants must have completed all coursework required for a Ph.D. and must have achieved ABD (all but dissertation) status by the time the proposed research stay in Berlin begins.
How to Apply:
To be applying, Applications should consist of:
- Application Form can be downloaded from the given link: http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/bprogram/application/Application.pdf
- The Research Proposal must be typed on letter size or A4 format
- Official Academic Transcripts (only applies to dissertation fellowship applicants) must submit a PDF scan of your official undergraduate and graduate school transcripts
- Dissertation Abstract must submit a one-page abstract of your dissertation project
- Submit completed application packet to: bprogram-at-zedat.fu-berlin.de
- Mailed applications must be postmarked to:
Berlin Program for Advanced German and European Studies
tel: +49 30 838 56671
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The Berlin Program Fellowship stipends are:
- EUR 1400 per month for fellows working on a dissertation project
- EUR 1600 per month for fellows working on a postdoctoral research project
- In addition, the program reimburses costs for transatlantic travel up to a maximum of EUR 1200
Deadline for applications is December 1, 2016.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, to contact: bprogram-at-zedat.fu-berlin.de.