If you are enrolled, or enrolling, in an earth-science education or geoscience degree program and would like to apply for a scholarship? The AWG Foundation is now offering its AWG Minority scholarship to encourage young minority women to pursue an education and later a career in the geosciences. The program is available to a full-time student who is pursuing an undergraduate degree in the geosciences at an accredited college or university. The purpose of the program is to provide financial aid and matches the student with a mentor in the same field. The AWG Foundation funded a $6,000 scholarship with generous support from ExxonMobil and individual donors.
The Association for Women Geoscientists (AWG) is an international organization devoted to enhancing the quality and level of participation of women in geosciences and to introduce girls and young women to geoscience careers.
- A woman who is African-American, Hispanic, or Native American
- A full-time student who is pursuing an undergraduate degree in the geosciences (geology, geophysics, geochemistry, hydrology, meteorology, physical oceanography, planetary geology, or earth science education) at an accredited college or university
- High school students who will enter one of these fields during their freshman year may also apply
- A contributor to the larger world community through her academic and personal strengths
How to Apply:
To be applying, the candidate may download application form (MS Word .doc), through the given link: http://awg.org/images/awards/AWG_Minority_Scholarship_Applica.doc
- The application calls for a statement of academic and career goals
- Two letters of recommendation,
- High school and college transcripts
- Unofficial copies of SAT or ACT scores
The candidates can mail the completed application materials to:
Association for Women Geoscientists
Attn. Minority Scholarship 12000
Washington St., Suite 285
Thorton, Colorado 80241
Financial Aid and Award Money:
One or more awards totaling $6,000 will be given each summer for use during the next academic year (awards include AWG membership).
The each year, application submission deadline is June 30th.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, contact Christina Tapia at minorityscholar-at-awg.org