The Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program is offered by the Whitaker Foundation for the Bachelor’s degree holder and Ph.D. students. Primarily purpose of the foundation is to support interdisciplinary medical research, with a focus on biomedical engineering and it contributed more than $700 million to universities and medical schools to support faculty research, graduate students, program development, and construction of facilities. Both (Fellows and Scholars) winners will receive a stipend commensurate with the recipient’s experience and expected expenses in the host country.
The Whitaker Foundation was created and funded by U.A. Whitaker upon his death in 1975. His wife, Helen, who shared in his philanthropy during his lifetime, joined him in bequeathing a significant portion of her estate to the Foundation when she died in 1982.
Fellows & Scholars go abroad for one academic year (9-12 months)All applicants must:
- Be nominated by the Dean of a School or Chair of the biomedical engineering department at their current or most recent degree granting institution.
- Be U.S. citizens or have U.S. permanent residency.
- Non-citizens may apply as long as they are legal permanent U.S. residents
- Have language ability to carry out the proposed project in the host country at the time of departure.
Fellows: (pre-doctoral) must meet the basic eligibility requirements and must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree by the beginning date of the grant or
- Be in or have recently completed a Master’s degree or
- Be in a Ph.D. program or
- Be currently employed, with the most recent degree no higher than an MS
Scholars – (post-doctoral) must meet the basic eligibility requirements and must:
- Currently, have a Ph.D. (within the past 3 years of grant start date) or will be awarded the Ph.D. before beginning a Whitaker grant.
How to Apply:
To apply, the candidate can register or log-in on the given link:
- List of Publications
- Motivation and Personal Experiences Essay (1 page)
- Previous Research Experience Essay (2 pages, 3 pages for post-doc Scholars)
- Proposed Plan of Study, Internship and/or Research (2 pages, 3 pages post-doc Scholars)
- Future Plans Essay (1 page)
- Foreign Language Report
- Dean of a School or Chair of Biomedical Engineering Department Nomination Letter
- Three Letters of Reference
- One set of Official Transcripts from all Post-Secondary Degree-Granting Institutions
- Letter of Support from Overseas Host Institution
You can submit transcripts and letter(s) of support (Hard copy materials)at the given address:
Whitaker International Awards Competition
US Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program offer a stipend commensurate with the recipient’s experience and expected expenses in the host country.
- Round-trip international airfare
- A monthly living stipend to commensurate with cost of living in host country
- Health & Accident insurance
- Travel Enhancement Fund ($4,000)
- Enrichment Seminar in Europe
- Fellows Only: Tuition (and bench fees) reimbursement, capped at US$10,000 (regardless of country of exchange or exchange rate). Individual reimbursement amounts are determined by the Whitaker Program at the time of grant award
The deadline for the 2017-2018 academic year competition is January 24, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any query, contact at whitaker-at-iie.org.