The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) supports low- and middle-income students pursuing eligible high-demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care. The program encourages recipients to work in Washington State once they complete their degrees.If you are selected, you will receive $2,500 for 1-3 years, depending on how many quarters/semesters of college you had completed at the time of application. The amount of funding that selected students will be eligible to receive each year will vary based on the number of credits they have completed.
The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) was created in 2011 to address unfilled seats in the high-demand sectors that drive our economy like aerospace, engineering, technology and health care as well as rising tuition costs at Washington colleges and universities.
- Must be a Washington state resident (as defined in RCW 28B.15.012)
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED from a Washington State high school or institution by June 2017
- Must be pursuing an eligible high-demand major (by alphabet, by category) in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care
- Must be working toward a first bachelor’s degree, (i.e. four-year degree)
- Must be enrolling in an eligible Washington state college or university fall term 2017
- Must be planning to enroll as a full-time college student (12+ credits) fall term 2017
- Must be a high school senior at the time of application or a college student who will have completed six or fewer quarters, or four or fewer semesters by fall of 2017 as a full-time student (12 or more credits per term)
- Must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) through fall quarter or semester 2016 of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Must file the 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov or submit the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) at readysetgrad.org/wasfa by Tuesday, March 7, 2017
- Must apply for Federal Education tax credits if eligible.
- Must have a family income (adjusted gross income plus all untaxed income) less than the amount listed by family size on the chart. The link of chart is: http://www.waopportunityscholarship.org/file/application-documents/Family-Income.pdf
How to Apply:
To be considered for the scholarship, candidates are required to fill the application form. The application for 2017-2018 will be available on January 3, 2017.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Transcripts without fall 2016 grades
- Submit a copy of your official GED score
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- If you are selected, you will receive $2,500 for 1-3 years, depending on how many quarters/semesters of college you had completed at the time of application.
- To increase your scholarship to the $5,000 level and subsequently to the $7,500 level, you can check the given link: https://www.waopportunityscholarship.org/new-applicants/award-amount
The online application must be submitted by Tuesday, February 28, 2017, at 5 p.m. PST.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, email them at info-at-waopportunityscholarship.org.