Veterans of Foreign War (VFW) is proud to present the Voice of Democracy Scholarship Program for students in grades 9-12 and who are enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States. The theme of 2015-16 Voice of Democracy Program is: My Vision for America. Each year, nearly 40,000 high school students from across the country enter to win a share of the $2.2 million in educational scholarships.
The VFW established the Voice of Democracy program (VOD) in 1947 to provide opportunity for the students to express themselves in regards democratic ideas and principles. Veterans are respected for their service, always receive their earned entitlements and are recognized for the sacrifices, is the vision of VFW.
The applicants must follow the given criteria:
- Students in grades 9-12 who are enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States, its territories and possessions; or in an overseas U.S. military/civilian dependent school.
- Although U.S. citizenship is not required, students must be lawful U.S. permanent residents
- Have applied for permanent residence (the application for which has not been denied) and intends to become a U.S. citizen at the earliest opportunity allowed by law.
- Foreign exchange students, students age 20 or over, previous Voice of Democracy first place state winners, GED or Adult Education Students are ineligible.
How to Apply:
- For applying the scholarship the applicants must complete OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM of VOICE OF DEMOCRACY.
- Record your original 3-5 minute (+ or – 5 seconds max.) essay on an audio CD or a flash drive. Preferred format for CD’s is the audio CD format. No music, singing, poetry or sound effects are allowed.
- All recordings must be in your own voice and in English. Hearing/speech impaired students should contact the Voice of Democracy National Office at (816) 968-1117 for special instructions.
All the students must submit their entry to the proper location by ensuring it is a participating Post. If you need help finding a participating VFW Post in your area, call (816) 968- 1117, e-mail to [email protected] or visit website at www.vfw.org, selecting the “Find A Post” option.
Winners will receive an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C., Feb 27 – March 2, 2016, to tour the city and receive their portion of $152,000 in national awards, the top scholarship being $30,000.
The application deadline for Voice of Democracy Scholarship Program is November 1, 2015.
Link for More Information: