Fulbright Austria (the Austrian-American Educational Commission) manages the U.S. English Language Teaching Assistantship Program, which is funded by the Austrian Ministry of Education. This program is a fine opportunity for U.S. teaching assistants, who not only gain classroom experience but also serve as linguistic and cultural ambassadors of the United States in secondary schools throughout Austria. They place approximately 140 U.S. teaching assistants at schools in all nine Austrian provinces with net income of approximately €1,162 per month.
Fulbright Austria promotes mutual understanding, cooperation, and knowledge transfer between Austria and the United States by sponsoring educational and cultural exchange programs for individuals and institutions.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens
- Have a bachelor’s degree as a minimum requirement (or be completing one when they apply), and
- Ideally be interested in careers in education or public service
- Prospective teachers of foreign languages or TESOL and/or graduates with a documented interest in German and Austrian studies are particularly encouraged to apply
- A working knowledge of German is required and necessary to facilitate on-site orientation and work
How to Apply:
Potential applicants are asked to create a profile by entering a username, a password and by providing all the other information. The link is: https://www.usta-austria.at/site_old/cust_fulbright_section_logon.siteswift?c=logmeon&d=DREF-38123e72cd7b31c2dd2a202b&ts=1481093569
Apply online using the online application. Submit application documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation (uploaded by reference)
- Proof of German proficiency
- Current transcript
- Personal statement
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Placement: The Austrian Ministry of Education works together with provincial school boards to place approximately 140 U.S. teaching assistants at schools in all nine Austrian provinces.
- Duration of Assignment:S. teaching assistants are employed from October 1 – May 31 of the school year. Incoming teaching assistants are required to attend an orientation seminar before beginning their assignments. U.S. teaching assistants with a superior record of performance may apply to have their assistantships extended for the second year
- Status and Remuneration of U.S. Teaching Assistants in Austria:
- S. teaching assistants teach 13 hours per week, usually at two different schools, under the supervision of licensed teachers and a “supervisor” assigned to keep track of their overall performance and troubleshoot, if need be.
- They receive a salary of ca. €1,440 per month for eight months, from which deductions are made for health and accident insurance (full coverage under the Austrian plans) and income tax. This results in a net income of approximately €1,162 per month.
- Teaching assistants do not receive any additional support for travel to Austria or for dependents.
Complete applications are due January 15, 2017, for the following school year.
Link for More Information: