The ALS Association Florida Chapter is offering the Rick & Sherry Murray Medical Futures Scholarship for the students who have or have had a spouse, parent, or grandparent diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis). The program is also open for those students who want to pursue a degree in the medical profession as a result of their experience.The mission of the ALS is leading the fight to treat and cure ALS through global research and nationwide advocacy while also empowering people with Lou Gehrig’s disease and their families to live fuller lives by providing them with compassionate care and support. The ALS will worth up to $5,000 scholarship per semester based on program tuition.
ALS was first found in 1869 by French neurologist Jean-Martin Charcot, but it wasn’t until 1939 that Lou Gehrig brought national and international attention to the disease.The ALS Association Florida Chapter was established in 1987, it is fighting Lou Gehrig’s disease on all fronts or as we like to say, “Covering all the bases for people living with ALS in Florida.”
Applicants must be:
- The spouse, child or grandchild of a person who has been diagnosed with ALS. (Families of every tradition will be considered).
- A legal resident of Florida.
- Currently majoring in any medically-related degree or attending any medically-related certification program.
- Any age of student may apply – scholarships are not restricted to graduating high school seniors, high school graduates or current undergraduates.
- Applicants must attend or be accepted to school full-time (as defined by the educational institution) at an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, or vocational-technical school located in the U.S.
- Students must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent).
How to Apply:
To applying for the scholarship, the candidates must fill the application form that can be downloaded from the link:
- A 500-word essay describing how your experience with ALS has impacted you and your decision to enter a medical field
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Official current, complete transcript of grades (Grade reports are not acceptable. Online official transcripts must display student name, school name, grade and credit hours earned for each course, and term in which each course was taken.)
To be considered, ALL completed applications can be mailed to:
3242 Parkside Center Circle, Tampa, FL, 33619.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Scholarships are awarded per semester, up to $5,000, based on program tuition (award not to exceed balance due for tuition).
- Funds may be used for in or out-of-state schools.
- Funds must be used for college or technical programs that are a medically-related degree or certificate.
- Funds must only be used for payment of tuition and do not include payment of fees.
- Funds must be paid to an institution or corporation, and not to an individual.
- Award recipients may reapply each year until they have received $5,000 total.
The deadline for the “Rick & Sherry Murray Medical Futures Scholarship application” is July 13, 2017, the fall semester.
Link for more Information: http://webfl.alsa.org/site/PageServer/?pagename=FL_9_Scholarships.html&_ga=1.77812052.1153113124.1484564631
If you have questions or would like more information, contact Gabby Harrison: gharrison-at-alsafl.org or call 888.257.1717 ext.101