The Grotto, a working community for writers and other creators of contemporary narrative media is looking for excellent writing and interesting and focused projects for the fellowship program. The goal of this fellowship is to offer up-and-coming writers a working environment among professionals in which to learn and thrive. This fellowship is intended to support emerging writers, with fewer publication credits. You should have a clear idea of the trajectory of your project before you apply, and it should be already underway.
The Grotto has a roster of over one hundred authors, journalists, fiction writers, filmmakers, poets and other “narrative artists”. The Grotto is a working community for writers and other creators of contemporary narrative media. They also teach classes and hold special events.
- The Grotto Fellowship is open to writers of every genre, including fiction, nonfiction memoir, journalism, poetry, dramatic writing, etc. Writers who have demonstrated a commitment to their craft but who are not yet widely published are invited to apply.
- If you have published a book (or have one under contract), a full-length collection of poetry or regularly write for national magazines/newspapers, do not apply.
How to Apply:
For applying the fellowship:
- You’ll need to upload a sample of recent work (10 pages of prose or up to 10 poems) as well as describe your background, your particular project, and what you hope to gain from working at the Grotto.
- Complete the scholarship application form, by the given link: https://www.sfgrotto.org/contact/grotto-fellowship/grotto-fellowship-application-form/
Financial Aid and Award:
- Fellows are offered no-cost workspaces here at the Grotto on a part-time basis (up to eight days a month) for a six-month period, beginning in either January or July.
- Fellows are members of the Grotto during the duration of their fellowship.
- In addition to working at the Grotto, fellows will get a chance to meet with established writers in their field.
- Fellows are invited to all Grotto events (including lunches, which are usually a communal occasion frequented by visiting writers, editors, filmmakers and other artists).
- Once a year, fellows are invited to do a public reading at the Grotto to present the work they’ve done on fellowship.
Deadline for scholarship application is September 30, 2016.
Link for More Information:
If you have questions, contact at sfgrottofellowship-at-gmail.com.