The Graham Foundation is offering two Carter Manny Awards one for a student at the research stage and other for a student at the writing stage of the doctoral dissertation. The award is supporting to dissertation research and writing by promising scholars whose projects have architecture as their primary focus and the potential to shape architectural discourse. The Carter Many Awards will provide up to $15,000 for the research award and up to $20,000 for the writing award.
Founded in 1956, the Graham Foundation for advanced studies in the fine arts makes project-based grants to individuals, organizations and produces public programs to foster the development, exchange of diverse and challenging ideas about architecture.
Ph.d. Students who are presently candidates for a doctoral degree are eligible to apply:
- Students must be nominated by their department to apply for the Carter Manny Award
- A department may nominate up to two candidates: one for the research award and one for the writing award
- At the time of application, students must have completed all requirements for the ph.d. Except the dissertation and have had their dissertation proposals formally approved by their academic departments
- A student may reapply for the award if a previous application was not successful. Due to limited funds, a student who received a research award or a writing award is not eligible to apply for another award in subsequent years
- The award is open to students officially enrolled in schools in the U.S. and Canada, regardless of citizenship.
- Work being undertaken in pursuit of an academic degree is not otherwise eligible for graham foundation support
How to Apply:
To start an application for the Carter Manny Award, candidate must create a grant application account with an email address and a password through the given link: https://www.grantrequest.com/sid_776/default.asp?sa=sna&fid=35191&sesid=60110&rl=
- Nomination Letter: This is a brief letter from your department or program administrator confirming that you have been nominated by your department to apply for the Carter Manny Award. The letter must also verify that you have completed all coursework; that you have advanced to Ph.D. candidacy; and that your proposed dissertation has been formally approved by the department
- Reference letters: three letters of reference are also required as part of your application
- A letter of support from your thesis advisor
- A letter of support from a specialist in your area of research who is outside your university and not a member of your dissertation committee
- A letter of support from a reference of your own choosing
- Attachments: attachments will be uploaded with your application. The maximum size for all attachments combined is 10mb.
- Curriculum vitae (3-page maximum)
- Writing sample (20 page maximum; applicants for the writing award must submit a writing sample from the dissertation. Applicants for the research award are encouraged to submit a writing sample that is related to the dissertation topic.)
- Visuals, such as image samples (optional)
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The Graham Foundation offers two Carter Manny Awards as one for a student at the research stage of the doctoral dissertation and one for a student at the writing stage of the doctoral dissertation
- The research award is acknowledged with up to $15,000
- The writing award is acknowledged with up to $20,000
The completed application packet must be submitted by November 15, 2016.
Link for more Information:
If you have any questions, call at 312.787.4071 and email to: info-at-grahamfoundation.org