The 2016 Sidney B. Meadows scholarship application, sponsored by Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund, is now open. The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund was created in to aid students from sixteen southeastern states seeking a career in horticulture. The Scholarship is dedicated to one of the most honored horticultural leaders, the late Sidney B. Meadows. Scholarships are awarded, through a competitive process, administered by a selection committee based on academics, character, determination, probability of a career in horticulture, and financial need.
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund was created in 1989 by the Southern Nursery Association. Scholarship Endowment Fund is a 501 (c) 3 charitable foundation providing academic scholarships to students in sixteen southeastern states.
- Student must be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate ornamental horticulture program or related discipline at a four-year institution, must be currently enrolled in good standing and must carry a full-time compliment of courses at time of application and during the semester the scholarship is granted.
- Also, student must be in a junior or senior standing at time of application in a four-year curriculum (having completed the first two years and at least two horticulture courses) or a graduate student standing in a horticultural masters or doctoral program.
- Student must be a resident of one of the 16 SNA states (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia) although attendance at an institution within these states is not mandatory. The student must be a citizen of the U.S.
- For the most recent two years (four years for graduate students), a minimum grade point average of 2.75, based on a scale of 4.0, is required for undergraduate students or 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 for graduate students.
- Preference will be given to those applicants who plan to work in any aspect of the industry (including owning their own business) following graduation and those in financial need.
- Previous scholarship recipients may reapply; however, each is limited to a maximum of 2 scholarship awards.
How to Apply:
For applying the scholarship, the candidates must complete the application form and Referral Form. Forms can be downloaded through the given link:
- Provide a cover letter of not more than two pages, which should include:
- Experiences or factors that stimulated your interest in your present major
- Your plans following graduation
- How the scholarship would benefit your education and career goals
- Examples of personal experiences or events that will help you attain your career goals
- Include a one-page resume describing your background, employment history and education.
- Attach all official transcripts from the registrar’s office (graduate students, please include any undergraduate transcripts). If different institutions are involved, please include all institutions’ transcripts.
- Provide TWO letters of recommendation (see Referral Form). At least one letter should be from department faculty member who is familiar with the student. One letter can be from a horticulture industry employer of the student. (Letters must be sent directly from the faculty member or employer.) Form is provided.
You can send the application and supporting documents via email attachment, fax or mail.
- Address is:
Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund
P.O. Box 801513, Acworth,
GA 30101 Ph: 678.813.1880
- Email is: info-at-sbmsef.org
- Fax: 678.813.1881
This year, they expect to award at approximately twelve $1,500 scholarships.
Application Deadline is May 27, 2016.
Link for More Information: