Each year, The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) awards a financial scholarship to at least two osteopathic medical students, one of which is newly accepted and one a continuing student. This award recognizes underrepresented minority students attending one of the member colleges of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. This scholarship is named after former AACOM Executive Director Sherry R. Arnstein. Upto $2500 scholarship award will be given to the winning candidates.
The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) was founded in 1898 to lend support and assistance to the nation’s osteopathic medical schools, and to serve as a unifying voice for osteopathic medical education.
- To be eligible, an applicant must be an underrepresented minority student (African American, Native American, Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian, mainland Puerto Rican or Hispanic American)in good academic standing and currently enrolled in his or her first, second, or third year at an AACOM member college of osteopathic medicine
- An underrepresented minority student who has been accepted and is planning to matriculate at one of the AACOM member colleges.
- Previous Arnstein Scholarship awardees are ineligible.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can complete the online scholarship application form through the given link: http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/financial-aid/arnstein/application-current-student
- A signed verification form from your Student Affairs Officer
- A double-spaced, 750-word (maximum) essay with your name and page number at the top of each page that answers the following questions:
- How and why were you drawn to osteopathic medicine?
- What could osteopathic medical schools do to recruit and retain more underrepresented minority students?
- What do you personally plan to do as a student and as a future DO to help increase minority student enrollment at osteopathic medical colleges
Financial Aid and Award Money:
$1,500 – $2,500 award money will be given to the winning candidates.
Entries must be submitted by March 31, 2017. Awardees will be notified by August 2017.
Link for More Information:
Reach out to Joye Shepperd at (301) 968-4142 or jshepperd-at-aacom.org.