The entire Polanki organization is pleased to announce the “Polanki’s annual College Achievement Awards”. The award is recognizing Junior, senior or graduate students who have demonstrated high achievement and who are committed to understanding, preserving, or disseminating polish culture and or language. The purpose of the organization is to bring the polish traditions to life throughout the Milwaukee area through- Pierogi dinners, harvest soup celebrations, traditional holiday crafts, cooking demonstrations and many more educational opportunities. The organization will worth amounts ranging from $750 – $2000 to the winners of the annual College Achievement Award.
Polanki, Inc., the Polish Women’s Cultural Club of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Founded in 1953 the group is dedicated to preserving and sharing Polish culture and dedicated to promoting knowledge and appreciation of the Polish culture. It is promotes understanding and appreciation of Polish heritage and culture as embodied in traditions, history, language, current affairs, and the arts.
To be eligible candidates must meet all the following criteria:
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Junior, senior or graduate status during the applicable academic year in an accredited degree program
- Wisconsin resident or attending a Wisconsin college or university
- Polish ancestry, or have studied Polish language, history, society, or culture or significantly engaged in Polish culture
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a four-point scale preferred
- Applicants are limited to no more than two awards in their academic career.Past recipients may reapply:
- As a graduate student if they previously received an award as an undergraduate
- If they completed the course of study for which they previously received an award and are pursuing a new degree in another accredited degree program Awards
How to Apply:
To apply, candidate can download application form from the given link: http://polanki.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Polanki-2017-College-Achievement-Award-application-1.doc
- Attach one college-issued transcript from each college attended (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
- Polish connection- on a separate page, Describe your exposure to, and/or familiarity with, the polish language and polish culture. List any polish ancestors or other connections to Poland
- Career plans- on a separate page, in 100-150 words- Describe your personal, academic and professional plans for the future.
On a separate page, in 500-600 words, choose one of the following topics and research that topic exploring a variety of sources (library, the internet, etc.)
- Poland’s importance in world history
- Current polish culture and me
- Your future profession and Poland
Candidate can send the complete packet to:
Polanki College Achievement Award,
PO Box 341458,
Milwaukee, WI 53234
Financial Aid and Award Money:
By the Polanki’s annual College Achievement Awards, the following awards may be offered in amounts ranging from $750 to $2000:
- Stanley F. and Helen Balcerzak Award for an outstanding student in any field
- Copernicus Award for an outstanding student in a science field
- Robert J. Leonard Memorial Award for a student engaged in dance or theater
- Harriet Gostomski Memorial Award for a UW-Milwaukee student
- Michael and Maria Laskowski Memorial Award for a graduate student or a senior intending to attend graduate school at Marquette University (excluding the schools of dentistry and law). Marquette University matches the award with a tuition waiver.
- Arthur B. Gurda Memorial Award, George Niemczycki Memorial Award and other specially-funded memorial awards for students in any field
- The applications of the award can be postmarked no later than January 20, 2017.
- Awards will be presented at the annual Polanki College Achievement Awards Tea on Sunday, April 23, 2017, at 2 pm at the Polish Center of Wisconsin, 6941 South 68th Street, Franklin, WI
Link for more Information:
For additional information about Polanki’s College Achievement Awards, contact to joanne.barndt-at-gmail.com, (414)-962-5634 or to Polanki Awards, PO Box 341458, Milwaukee, WI, 53234.