PALCUS Organization has established a national, merit-based scholarship program to full-time students who are attending a baccalaureate or graduate degree program. The program is intended to support outstanding undergraduate and graduate college students of Portuguese ancestry toward fulfilling their higher education goals. Five (5) PALCUS Scholarship awards of $1,000 each will be available for 2016.
PALCUS is committed to serving the community through increasingly active government relations efforts, the promotion of a greater awareness of ethnic accomplishments and encouraging stronger ties between Portugal and the United States.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal U.S. resident (proof of I551 card with no restrictions required)
- Attest to personal Portuguese ancestry of an aggregate of least 25%, i.e. total Portuguese ancestry of the applicant
- Be a full-time student attending a baccalaureate or graduate degree program at an accredited college or university in the United States and
- Have attained a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of a minimum of 3.0.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can download scholarship application form through the given link:
The applicant must submit the following by the application deadline:
- The PALCUS Scholarship Application Form
- An official college academic transcript from all colleges previously attended
- One page is typewritten (double-spaced 12 pt. font) essay addressing the questions:
- What impact has your Portuguese ancestry had upon your personal development?
- What role do you anticipate that your Portuguese ancestry will play in your future?
- Discuss any specific career goals for the future or any community involvement that might be pertinent to the question.
- What additional information would you like the Scholarship Committee to consider in evaluating your application?
- One Instructor’s Recommendation that should be submitted to PALCUS electronically in PDF format on the attached form by a teacher or professor in an academic setting.
Submit application and all supporting materials electronically in PDF format to palcus-at-palcus.org to the attention of “Scholarship Committee.”
Five awards each of $1,000 will be given to the winning candidates.
Application and supporting documents must be submitted electronically no later than July 31, 2016.
Link for More Information:
Questions may be directed to Elisabete Martins at palcus-at-palcus.org or 202-466-4664.