The James Beard Foundation is proud to announce its three JBF scholarships named as the JBF National Scholars, the Friends of James Beard Foundation Scholarships and the James Beard Foundation School Scholarships.These programs are open to assist aspiring culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school.Upholding Beard’s legacy of culinary education and support through their scholarship program is an essential component of the James Beard Foundation’s mission.Each year the James Beard Foundation (JBF) offers these three basic types of Awards. JBF National Scholars award worth of $20,000 award amount.
The James Beard Foundation is a national not-for-profit 501(c) (3) organization based in New York City. The James Beard Foundation’s mission is to celebrate, nurture, and honor chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse, and sustainable for everyone.
- JBF National Scholars- Applicants must be a U.S. resident of one of the 50 states, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.
- The Friends of James Beard Scholarships- Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll or who are already enrolled at least part-time during the 2017-18 academic year in a course of study leading to a certificate or degree at a licensed or accredited culinary school (unless otherwise specified for a particular award). Preference may be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
- The James Beard Foundation School Scholarships- Applicants must meet the admission and eligibility requirements at a participating school to be eligible to receive an award.
How to Apply:
To apply for the scholarships, the applicant can register themselves through the given link: https://www.scholarsapply.org/jamesbeard/instructions.php?
As part of your application, you must upload the following documents- Information you’ll need to complete the application for the James Beard Foundation (JBF) Scholarship Program:
- Official name of the school you plan to attend
- Transcripts from post-secondary schools, if applicable
- High school transcript if you are a senior in high school
- Your selected major of study
- Cumulative GPA from your most recent school
- Your rank-in-class, if applicable
- Your SAT and/or ACT scores, if applicable
- List of your paid work experience
- List of your school and community volunteer (unpaid) activities
- Brief statement of your professional goals and aspirations
- Brief statement of any unusual family or personal circumstances
- Brief essays required for certain scholarships (see listing)
- Financial Income Information (contained in the application)
- A completed applicant appraisal form (see form in application) from a school counselor or adviser, or a work supervisor who knows you well
- Two letters of recommendation from instructors or employers
- JBF National Scholars- Applicants must also submit an essay.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- JBF National Scholars- Scholarships of up to $20,000 to food-focused candidates of exceptional talent who demonstrate leadership, community involvement, and academic excellence, and who aspire to leadership roles in the culinary arts, food studies, agriculture, hospitality management, and more.Up to ten (10) scholarships of $20,000 each will be granted.
- The Friends of James Beard Scholarships- Preference may be given to students who demonstrate financial need. Awards are not renewable; however, students may reapply each year they meet eligibility requirements.
- The James Beard Foundation School Scholarships- awards are granted as waivers and vary according to the terms of each school’s waiver. Unless specified, awards are not renewable, however, students may reapply each year they meet eligibility requirements.
The complete application must be submitted no later than May 15, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, ask for the James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program by email: jamesbeard-at-scholarshipamerica.org or call: 1-507-931-1682.