The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies is now accepting application for its Academy Scholars Program. The program is open to all recent PhD recipients and doctoral candidates. The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history, or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $67,000, and Predoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $31,000.
The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies is dedicated to increasing our knowledge of the culture, history, and institutions of the world’s major regions and countries.
- The Academy Scholars Program is open to scholars from all countries and citizenships who have recently completed or are nearing completion of a PhD or equivalent doctoral program in the social sciences.
- Predoctoral candidates must have finished all field research and be in the writing stage of their dissertation at the time of application. If you have completed a PhD program, the PhD completion date must be within three years of our October 1 application deadline. For October 1, 2016 applicants, you must have completed your PhD after September 30, 2013.
How to Apply:
The application process is completely on-line. The candidates must create an account through the given link to be entering in scholarship:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé
- Research proposal (2500 word maximum)
- Official PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application)
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Each year four to five Academy Scholars are named for two-year appointments. Academy Scholars are expected to reside in the Cambridge/Boston area for the duration of their appointments unless traveling for pre-approved research purposes.
- Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $67,000, and predoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of$31,000. This stipend is supplemented by funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage.
The completed application packet must be submitted by October 1, 2016.
Link for More Information:
You can email questions to Applicationinquiries-at-wcfia.harvard.edu