Graduate Women in Science is proud to offer The GWIS National Fellowships Program 2017 to increase knowledge in the natural sciences and to encourage research careers in the sciences by women. GWIS Fellowships are intended to provide supplemental funding to women scientists conducting research in the natural sciences. Fields of social science that use the scientific method are eligible to apply. The award amount varies each year. A maximum of $10,000 may be requested for this year.
Graduate Women in Science has been empowering women as individuals and as a community since 1921. For almost 100 years we have worked to advance the participation and recognition of women in scientific fields through grants, awards, and fellowships.
All women scientists that are conducting research in the natural sciences regardless of nationality are eligible for application for any of the GWIS Fellowships.
- Awards will be made to women holding a degree from a recognized institution of higher learning, of outstanding ability and promise in research, who are performing hypothesis-driven research at any institution in the U.S. or abroad.
- Career level (e.g. graduate student vs. assistant professor) of the candidate will be taken into consideration when reviewing the proposals.
- Awards will be made irrespective of race, religion, nationality, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
- Application for the GWIS Fellowships is offered at no cost to current GWIS members, as a member benefit. For non-members, an application processing fee of $50 is required. Fellowships applicants that are not already GWIS members may join GWIS with a 6-month introductory membership at a discounted rate of $35
How to Apply:
- If you are you a current GWIS member: There is no application fee. Make you are signed in as a member and click the link to start: http://www.gwis.org/event/fellowship_app_2017
- If you would like to apply for GWIS membership: This is a 6-month introductory membership at a discounted rate of $35 to be paid online with US dollars. To become a member: click the given link to start: https://gwis.site-ym.com/general/pick_username.asp
- If you are not a GWIS member, your application fee is $50 and can be paid online with US dollars at end of the application process. Click the link to start: http://www.gwis.org/event/fellowship_app_2017
- Abstract of proposed project (written for a non-specialist, maximum of 200 words, 12 point font, margins at least 0.75 inches).
- Project Description.The description must be sufficient to allow a reviewer familiar with the general area of the work to evaluate the underlying hypothesis and the methods to be used in the experimental approach.
- Recommendations Letters. Two letters, one from an advisor or department head plus one other who is qualified to evaluate the applicant’s ability to perform the proposed research are required.
Electronically send all of the above items (except the recommendation letters) as a single, complete PDF document within the online application.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- For the 2016-2017 funding cycle, they distributed approximately $48,000 in fellowships funds to six deserving women scientists. The amount thus varies from year to year.
- A maximum of $10,000 may be requested – any proposal requesting over $10,000 will be disqualified.
The application deadline for all GWIS Fellowships applications is 11:59 pm, Eastern Standard Time, January 13, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions please contact the GWIS Fellowships Coordinator: Fellowships-at-gwis.org